MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Folding knife repair??

I have a folding knife that recently went through the washing machine. It was literally removed out of a pocket and totally disassembled. I'm trying to locate a way / person that can put this knife back together. All the screws went down the drain. The knife is unknown manufacturer. The closest manufacturer that offers a knife that is very similar is LDT from China. In my correspondence with LDT, I was not able to determine if the knife I have is an older model or if the hardware is metric or standard. Thanks for the assist in advance.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast

Throw up some pictures if you can, one of us might be able to talk you through it.

Really though, folders arent horribly mechanically complex, and replacement screws shoudnt be too difficult to find. Rest assured, you arent completely screwed!

...ill let myself out
Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Guru

I agree many types of folding knives out there so pics of all the pieces might help us figure out what kind it is and I am sure you could put it back togather with someones help but depends what kind of knife it is I could help you put togather a liner lock but wouldn't know where to start if it was a lockback

On another note tho you might want to get a knife that holds togather better I haven't tried it but I doubt my knives would come completely apart from going through the wash...they shouldn't anyway
Old 12-19-2017, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the input. For some reason, I'm not allowed to add pictures (yet?). If a moderator reads this, maybe the can explain how I can add pictures.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Guru

you will wait a couple days it should allow you ill bring it up if I talk to a maderator and let them know
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You just need to make a few more posts and after a while the system will start letting you post pictures. Or, you can put the picture on a public photo hosting site like Photobucket or some such and then put a link to it in your post...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Thank you for the explanation.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Added pictures of disassembled knife.

Here are the pictures of the disassembled knife and one of LDT manufacturer. The LDT is similar to one I have, but was unable to confirm with correspondence with LDT.

Last edited by kanedn1970; 12-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Guru

That's all you have??? NO screws stop pin even the pivot screw?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Guru

no back spacer or standoffs either?...if you had these parts it would be fairly simple on telling you how to put it back togather....
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM

As I stated, all the hardware was dislodged from the knife and went down the washing machine drain. Heck of washing machine.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Guru

Well it's a simple liner lock, but need the pin hole size and the size of one of those spacer pins you still have left, plus all threaded holes thread size. What is the name on the blade?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Guru

yeh its easy to put back togather IF you can get the pieces you will need the screws that hold the handle material back on...then you will need something to use as a pivot screw... then either a back spacer or stand offs. but you will need to know the size of all this stuff....its impossible to tell you what size unless I had it in my hand most likely its a 2-56 screw maybe slightly bigger but the pivot could be 3/16th maybe 14/ or 1/8th most likely the screws for the back spacer or stand off would be 2x56 as well but you would need to make a new back spacer or find some stand offs you can use...if you knew the size of stuff we could tell you where to get the stuff you need. go to a hardware store and try and find the screws that will fit in the threaded hole....then for the pivot find a metal rod in a couple sizes like 1/8th 3/16th or 1/4 just to see what size tightly fits in the hole where the pivot goes if you find out the size you can easily order a pivot
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 AM
Master

Replacing the screws is not that difficult. This probably didn't have a solid backstrap so it likely had spacers-standoff's. That makes this a bit easier but depending on thickness they still will require hand fitting to some extent.

If you have long history with the knife, can see the desire to get it back in service. If on the other hand the knife does not have that level of attachment the consideration may be easier to replace.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Starting point to find hareware

I have checked Home Depot, Lowe's, and the a local hardware store (Ace True Value). Unfortunately, the smallest machine screws they offered was a #8. Looking online, I was unable to determine if these stores offer smaller machine screws. I'm planning to give Fastenal a call to see if they offer those small machine screws and can go buy to try them.
I ordered some 2-56 screws online, but they are too small. It's been a challenge of determining the hole size and thread with machinist scale.
Any recommendation of hardware store that may carry machine screws in these small diameters in both standard and metric threads?
Having to order the minimum number of screws of different sizes will not be cost effective.

Tags
art, back, blade, ca, folding, folding knife, folding knives, hardware, home, how to, knife, knives, liner lock, lock, lockback, make, photo, pivot, pocket, repair, screws, simple, spacer, throw, what kind