MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Folder Templates / Tutorials

Hi All

I have been looking around the internet for a decent template for a folding knife but can't seem to find anything suitable at all. There is one guy that makes a wooden version of a folder and supplies a free PDF but how it goes together is as a clear as mud.

So if anyone knows of somewhere I can find a template or two for a simple folder I would be really thankful... I also don't mind paying for them they don't necessarily need to be free. Ideally a detailed step by step guide would be superb.

I have made plenty of full tangs and enjoy making knives but the geometry of a folding knife and the various little parts is what is putting me off just having a go and for my first folder I would much prefer a print and stick template which I can then learn from that as I don't really learn very well from videos or written instruction but once I see something in my hand it makes much more sense to me.

I had considered taking apart a existing knife but then realized the only folders I have is SAK, an automatic (spring assist) and Leatherman so none really would be for the beginner to try and replicate.

Anyway any help with this would be great.

Many Thanks

Rab
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Skilled

go buy a cheap one..... take it apart.... use parts as template.

this still will require a bit of thinking, observing, and making adjustments on your part.

slipjoint folders are easy enough to start with.

some might say liner locks are easier.

a friction folder is about as simple as they get.

which knife kit were you having trouble figuring out?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Skilled

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=1

knife kits has both wood kits for kids, and fully functioning kits available, not too sure about the detailed instruction part - but they are super nice and informative if you call them with questions!

good luck sir!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

No I haven't tried a kit I was wanting to make it entirely myself the same way I have been doing with the full tang knives I have made.. so there isn't a kit I am having trouble with just looking a template that I can print and glue onto some plywood and cut on the bandsaw to make a template that I can use and keep for future knives then use the ply template to draw the outline onto some flat ground steel stock.. cut out, grind, bevel, heat, temper, finish etc.

But now that you have mentioned kits which had never crossed my mind before I might just try one and use that as my learning base to get the awkward bits of a folder worked out and then just scale the sizes up and down as required.

Thanks

Rab
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up Folder designs

These are all proven designs and can be copied at any scale you wish, large or small.

All details are included and you can cut out the parts and then glue them to your material.

I have the following sets of designs available:

1. Framelock folder

2. Texas Toothpick slipjoint

3.Slipjoint Whittler

4.Trapper 2-blade slipjoint

5.Small Barlow Linerlock

6.Flipper folder

7. Button Release folder

These are full scale prints. You can copy them at larger or smaller scales to suit yourself.

$10.00 each set plus $5.00 for shipping USPS Priority mail. Shipping covers one or all.

I'll help you via email.

Please pay my Paypal account.

I need your mailing address.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 AM

Hi Don

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Ok which knife template / plans would you suggest for someone building their first folder? I would love to try the two blade design but think I might be biting off more than what I can chew and should probably start with a single blade design first.

So as I say please suggest the easiest design to start with and we can get the ball rolling.

Many Thanks

Rab
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Hall of Famer

I guess I'd say the slipjoint whittler.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Ok thanks.

I don't suppose you have these templates / plans in a digital format such as a image file, PDF, Word document etc that could be emailed rather than a printed copy that needs to be posted (mailed)?

I am happy to pay the full $15 for a digital version just was keen to start this weekend when I have the rare occasion of a full weekend off without any demands from the wife. Also in my experience postage from the US and or Canada is normally at least a week.

If you don't have digital versions then you don't have them was just trying to avoid the delay.

Thanks

Rab
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastrab View Post
Ok thanks.

I don't suppose you have these templates / plans in a digital format such as a image file, PDF, Word document etc that could be emailed rather than a printed copy that needs to be posted (mailed)?

I am happy to pay the full $15 for a digital version just was keen to start this weekend when I have the rare occasion of a full weekend off without any demands from the wife. Also in my experience postage from the US and or Canada is normally at least a week.

If you don't have digital versions then you don't have them was just trying to avoid the delay.

Thanks

Rab
Just the prints. They must be mailed.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 AM

Ok Don. Will just have to practice my brazing this weekend instead.

Just sent the $15 for the Slipjoint Whittler plan to your email via PayPal. I will look forward to getting the plan and availing (hopefully not too much) of your offer of assistance should I need it.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Talking On the way

I got your plans ready and printed out a mailing label. Your pkg. will be mailed to you tomorrow.

I didn't realize you were from Ireland!!

Postage cost me $13.50 !!

:eek :

If you wish to reimburse me, I'd appreciate it. If not then that's OK too.

I'll help you any way I can via email any time.

By the way, you might be interested in one of my knifemaking books sold on Amazon here:

Just click on the URL below my signature at the bottom of this message.

Or you can buy my books From Knet right here. Just look for books with my name.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-16-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Rab, thanks for the reimbursement. Maybe that's a lesson learned.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM

I guess my name didn't give the game away!

I have just PayPal'ed over the difference in the postage cost... you were good enough to take it on the chin if need be then I can be good enough to fix it and by the looks of your books and your posts on here you seem to be quite the craftsman so hoping to make you a friend and that wouldn't have been the best way to start of.

I am not quite sure what to expect if the postage was than expensive... sort of expected about three sheets of paper starting to think it might be more involved than that. I guess I will wait for the postman in a week or two... although just a suggestion digital plans might be the way to go for international buyers as it might put some other people off but I see the value in the email assistance from a very experienced craftsman even if the postage is more than the plan

Rab
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Let me know when it arrives. FRIEND
Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Guru

Just to let ya know I recently started making folders. got the regular liner locks down ok now I have moved to bearing flippers wich I am still having trouble with. BUT ray rogers has a regular liner lock tutorial on his web site and its FREE. it very detailed. I wouldn't of had been able to figure them out so quickly without it check it out www.rayrogers.com scroll down click liner lock tutorial

Tags
automatic, bee, beginner, easy, folder, folding, folding knife, hand, instruction, kit, knife, knife kit, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, made, making, simple, slipjoint, step by step, supplies, switchblade, template, tutorial, wood