MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Registered

Vintage Shur-Snap Spring Repair

HI
Im kinda new to the hobby so could use lotsa help. I found a vintage Shur-Snap bowtie by Colonial with a missing spring. I would like to try and repair it myself. Can anyone advise me as to where to find a replacement spring and how to proceed to repair it? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks Guys
Old 10-03-2007, 03:29 PM

You could try..

Hi there!

You should definately try to ask this same question at :

Delphi Forums / Knife 101
That "place" has what you are looking for, I am sure!

Or you could try www.talkblade.com, another place with a whole lot of switchblade-people..
You will find lots of info on both vintage, contemporary, US and Italian automatic knives on the mentioned sites.

And off course, www.billdeshivs.com - start there by the way!!!

I am SURE that I have read somewhere that springs for those older American switchblades do exist - so keep looking and I think you will find what you need!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Martin
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Hello Mack , Here is what I use for them , I use .030 titanium , I cut the width and Bend the Kink in the spring over a solid surface with a nail laying on it , put your spring on the nail where you want it bent cut it long enough so that if it breaks because you over bent it you can move up and try it again , I dont use heat but when the spring is set lay a thick pair of pliers on it with the jaws open and hit them with a small hammer , dont try and bend it back because it will break , take needle nose pliers just in the front of the Kink hold it solid and wiht another pair of pliers bend it opposite Move forward and bend your curve slowly when you get it bent like you want it cut it to length and install it it will work great , T
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM

How Stupid..

Hey T!

Why on earth didn?t I mention you or your website in the first place ?????? I knew you by the time I posted that first reply to this " repair-issue".. but you found it anyway - cool!!

Now "mack" should be able to get his knife to SNAP!
Once again you have shared your knowledge in that generous way of yours!

See you later T!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Registered

Old-type switchblade repairs: 1.) www.slojoe.com 2.) sales@oldwestgunsco.com - I'm thinking of sending mine to either of these guys, so I don't ruin it myself and get discouraged - I own several Shur-Snap bowties, and two Hammer Brand toothpick-type - I like those old ones, even if they tend to be kinda "janky" and really serve only as steak knives on a night out, or conversation pieces - I've just started my collection - Looking for more - Gave a nice find from an antique store here in Salem, Oregon, to my brother. (Hector)
Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 AM

Guys, switchblade repair is what I do!
SloJoe doesn't repair vintage knives.
See my web site-www.billdeshivs.com
I'm a factory authorized repair shop for Colonial, Schrade (all of them!), Latama, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter, Mauro Mario, Venier (Lepre brand) and KaBar.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 PM

shur-snap and schrade spring repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Guys, switchblade repair is what I do!
SloJoe doesn't repair vintage knives.
See my web site-www.billdeshivs.com
I'm a factory authorized repair shop for Colonial, Schrade (all of them!), Latama, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter, Mauro Mario, Venier (Lepre brand) and KaBar.
Hi Bill
I have two knives that need spring replacements what is your turn around time for the repair?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Sorry, I haven't checked in here in a while.
Normally, my turn around is 3-4 weeks
I have a lot going on and am swamped right now-so I'm not accepting new work for a month or two.

Tags
antique, brand, fac, hammer, knife, knives, repair, schrade, shop, store, switchblade, toothpick, vintage, vintage knives, web