MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Unhappy Wish this thread was still active

I enjoyed many years of activity on this forum.

I still check it every day to see if there has been a new post...?

I am willing to help anyone if I can. And I certainly can!

Let's see if we can get some old guys to participate again, then maybe we can get the Folding Knife forum started again.

Alex, can you help?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Master

Wish we had more participation too. Many other forums the activity has declined as well. Was looking at the forum stats here the other afternoon. The forum does pull in a good amount of guest viewers so the content is being taken in-seen.

Had a similar discussion at the Cal Custom Show discussing maker exposure though web page, forum, social media and traditional advertising. Those implementing the social media side can reach a vast amount interested people. They can promote sales and get help pretty quickly due to the cell phone culture.

Enough are content to lurk too. For common encounters, past discussions provide the necessary info too. I had been looking for info on one forum and I was able to find the answers from past threads discussing the subject. On one forum the common threads are merged together as DIY posts. (Even better when they have step-by-step pics) These are culled into a FAQ for viewers to find the appropriate info. Those threads get plenty of views.

Areas such as handle fitting, blade finishing, drill-tap, etc. You Tube is also a competitor in that regard too.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Mike. I realize you are right about people using social media nowadays.

Too bad, I got such pleasure here reading new AND old posts and talking back and forth.

Well, que sera, sera.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Hall of Famer

I used to enjoy answering questions, helping, and posting pictures.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Guru

I know how you feel Jon.

I enjoy participating and helping to answer questions and getting some of my questions answered, I certainly have learned a thing or two here. Still it is hard to compete with YouTube how-to videos, though I sometimes get the desire to tell some of those wahoos that heat treating O1 in a coffee can forge is not the best way to do it. Especially the ones who are using the platform to sell their wares. If I make them angry they just delete my comments. No discussion allowed.

I've seen some poor workmanship pawned off as the best way to do it. I told them it was the wrong way nicely too, but then was told I don't know what I'm talking about and then had my comments deleted when I showed I did know what I was talking about and said they were not craftsmen.
Some are open to correction though and that's who I watch. I've noticed the leather side is more open to though.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Master

I enjoy the discussion too. The newcomers that are interested this is nice to be able to interact.

I have a hard time glaring at a cell phone sized screen and tapping messages in can be challenging. The verbal translation has become quite good that tapping a virtual keyboard isn't necessary. However, punctuation and the resulting message can be a wall of text. A picture or seeing the details in a video can be challenging to discern on those devices. Especially for detail work as we have with making knives.

Last night I was attempting to get my pictures in the clear so that non-registered readers can see them. Instead of being able to easily get the image location from my hosting site, it inserts additional coding that isn't viewable outside resulting in a 404 error. Old images linked before the change still work but new ones I could not get to show. My task for today is figure out why that is happening. Knifenetwork is white list for hotlink protection but it is something else.

Still areas that I want to refine so that I'm efficient when working away. I'll be asking questions.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know why the drop off in participation.

Hard to believe that you have Don Robinson available for advice - esp. on folders - and no one taking advantage of that!!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, TJ.

How y'all doing up there?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Steel Addict

Hello Don, just came back after. being gone for a couple years...I think the last time I was here , most of the old crowd had already.drifted away-kinda sad, there were (and I'm sure still are ) some great guys here. I'm going to make a few this year, then prob hang it up.Been having problems with the back and hands...guess being 77 yrs young might have something to do with it. Glad to see you're still kicking, amigo...Tom

Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Vertical and ventilating, Don! Doing OK, but nothing to write home about.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.WOLFE View Post
Hello Don, just came back after. being gone for a couple years...I think the last time I was here , most of the old crowd had already.drifted away-kinda sad, there were (and I'm sure still are ) some great guys here. I'm going to make a few this year, then prob hang it up.Been having problems with the back and hands...guess being 77 yrs young might have something to do with it. Glad to see you're still kicking, amigo...Tom
Wait 'till you're 84 like me....!???

I spend my time sleeping or painting using acrylics.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Master

I was teasing a buddy on his recent retirement from corporate life. He has squirrels in the yard so I mentioned to him that he can do things like this: :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjCeHObR_xg

Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 AM
Guru

Michael the squirrel video was hilarious.

I wouldn't have been so kind. The gunshot blast alone would have scared them away period. But I'd have used a black powder charge underground that would blast them into little tree rat smithereens.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-24-2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered

Tell you what, I am just joining this site and have a question regarding the DDR3-BL Folding knife kit. And am seeking any help you can provide. I have 3 kit knives to help me learn how to make them. I have been forging fixed blade knives for over 4 years now and feel I need to know how to make folders to broaden the knives I am able to provide to family and friends. No, I don't sell any of my knives yet. As most people who know me, know I am never satisfied with my final product even though they all agree on how good it is and looks.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

The DDR3 is a terrific design and pretty easy to put together.

As for questions, Don Robinson is the very best folder guy you could find. I've seen other good knifemakers gather around his table and "ooh!" at his folders.

Tags
a, back, bee, blade, ca, common, custom, diy, drill, folding, folding knife, forge, handle, heat, helping, home, knife, knives, leather, make, post, show, tap, traditional, web