MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 AM

Can Credit Card Knife be used as a real Survival knife?

These days I am seeing a rise in this new variant of folding knife.It is being marketed as "credit card knife" because of its look. Now after reading a couple of reviews I came to understand that it is a kind of survival knife.But reviews suggest that the body of these so called survival knives is made up of plastic. Now I wonder how strong it would be!

BTW this is how it looks

Although the blade of these knives seems impressive and claims are being made that it can easily cut through stuffs but again I have my own reservations. When you see a real survival knife like fallkniven s1 pro or bear grylls ultimate knife(my favorite), the blade is fixed and sharp which helps to generate power while using it. Now how a folding knife with a plastic body will be effective in survival situations.

Has anyone used this knife and if yes, I would like to know how effective it really is.

Last edited by dinnev7; 11-30-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:30 AM
Enthusiast

As a survival knife? In a word, hell no. Yes, i know thats 2 words. Thats how definitive that answer is. The blade is too small and too thin to do any actual work, the handle is flimsy at best, the lockup is nowhere near solid, really you would get absolutely nothing survival-oriented done with it.

Still though, theyre pretty nifty blades. Ive had one of those in my wallet since nearly when they first hit the market. Sure, they arent useful for much, and its not the most convenient blade i own. I usually carry a Kershaw Leek for my EDC blade, and have been for 6 years not, so its almost always on me. I forget it sometimes though, but i never forget my wallet, so i still always have a blade on me.

It it the best blade? No. It does, however, keep a decent edge and work as a pretty serviceable backup for opening boxes, letters, cutting zip ties, all those little tasks
Old 12-01-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
As a survival knife? In a word, hell no. Yes, i know thats 2 words. Thats how definitive that answer is. The blade is too small and too thin to do any actual work, the handle is flimsy at best, the lockup is nowhere near solid, really you would get absolutely nothing survival-oriented done with it.

Still though, theyre pretty nifty blades. Ive had one of those in my wallet since nearly when they first hit the market. Sure, they arent useful for much, and its not the most convenient blade i own. I usually carry a Kershaw Leek for my EDC blade, and have been for 6 years not, so its almost always on me. I forget it sometimes though, but i never forget my wallet, so i still always have a blade on me.

It it the best blade? No. It does, however, keep a decent edge and work as a pretty serviceable backup for opening boxes, letters, cutting zip ties, all those little tasks
Agreed! I was watching another video review of credit card knife.The guy in the video was having difficulty slicing a piece of paper with it.Actually it was only after using a sharpener did the knife improved. TBH I think its just a decent backup tool in absence of a real survival knife.Nothing more than that!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Guru

I would say that even as a backup tool it's no good for a survival situation, except it would be better than nothing. My backup for a survival tool would be something like a good liner lock folder which can also be an EDC as well, but a backup when going into the woods. This credit card knife would be fine as a backup in my wallet, but I don't think I'd care to clean a rabbit with it if there isn't an abundance of water to clean it with.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I would say that even as a backup tool it's no good for a survival situation, except it would be better than nothing.
Yeah! having something is better than having nothing around with you, atleast you can put the blade to some use.But Frankly speaking it has a look of a toy!

Tags
bee, blade, blades, card, credit card knife, edc, edge, fallkniven, fixed, folder, folding, folding knife, forge, handle, kershaw, knife, knives, liner lock, made, plastic, sharp, small, survival, survival knife