MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Master

Where to put mark-name?

For years we've electro chem'd etched our name on the blade. We'd done some folders where she would "pen" the name on the the inside of the backstrap following anodizing or blasting. The contrast works really well IMO.

I like the clean look of the knife without this obvious blade mark and this lends itself to refinishing if need be. Re-writing the name on the backstrap is also easy. A marked blade when refinshed varies due to the depth of the etch. A deep etch is fine but some of the shallower etches the work to clean a blade up is (many of ours don't get used so this isa non-issue.)

Asked her today what to do for this new batch of folders...concealed mark or mark on the blade?

Your thoughts?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Skilled

i too like the look of a clean blade, and on a Damascus blade my usual hand engraved signature doesn't show up so well. so ive started signing them on the spine of the blade... Damascus or not...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...posted-public/

and on folders, ill sign inside on the back spring....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...posted-public/

one problem ive run into though, has been some people believe there is only one place and proper way to sign a knife. I was even complained to by a dealer who bought 4 knives off me, and then had trouble selling them because he forgot where I signed them.... then proceeded to tell me where and how I should or shouldn't sign my own accustom made knives.
now when it comes to a structural, or material quality issue.... fine I'm willing to listen to suggestions and critiques..... but for someone to be so argumentative about why I dont want to make a big blank spot on a Damascus blade, and use only electro-chem etching just so my signature could look like everyone elses, and be seen over the unique beauty of the steel.... well "GFYS" is the thought that comes to mind.

I like the look of what you did in the inside of the folders. I personally think it would look better hand engraved. (personal bias of a hand engraver. ), but the contrast is still good and readable.

*BTW .... love that knife in your signature.... would love to engrave it too.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Master

One of the situations I'd come into with some stencils was the screening had flaws. This didn't show up till etched in that final stretch of completing the knife. If the etch was particularly deep, the required rubout was time consuming and the knife had to be excluded. (That final last minute deal we all go through for a show.)

I've also heard that spiel about where to mark a blade for maker I.D. as well as the resulting unknown marks/symbols. Some instances can be detrimental to the maker if the knife cannot be ID'd. That is the maker's call if they chose such.

Your engraved mark and the knives are I like the knife clean. I'll have her do something more decorative on this batch of folders. She uses an NSK Presto rotary handpiece and the titanium works easily to do more to.

Engraving on that sig pic would be nice. I forget what stone was used on that knife. She wrote my name on the lower bottom of the bolster.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Guru

I've had the same situation as Damon did. I put my logo on the tang under the handle and this guy wanted me to screw up my mirror finish and put my logo on the ricasso. First off I didn't make the blade and I never sign the blade and I told him that. I always sign the handle or guard if I didn't make the blade. The dude got really mad and I told him fine I'll make the blade and send it off for heat treat and charge him double what I was. Shut him up real quick.
I am limited by living in an apt. I have my 1x42 with 8" disc delta on a cart and I go outside to grind. I make a lot of small knives.lol

Tags
anodizing, back, bee, blade, damascus, damascus blade, easy, engraved, etched, etching, forge, hand, knife, knives, made, make, material, pen, problem, show, steel, stone