MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Question For Don R. or other makers of folders

Don
I know you like to look at the forum everyday as you said so here is a question for you as well as any others who may answer it. I have made several knives using single bolsters but never double bolsters. What are the steps involved in this process?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Read the sticky posts at the top of the folding knife forum.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 03-19-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 PM

gotcha thanks Don I will take a look.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 PM

I looked at the 3 pinned topics up top and my unfortunately my question is not answered there

In the 2 blade trapper tutorial you got sick during that part

In the texas toothpick tutorial there are 31 pages for me to wade through and when you got to installing the scales you skipped it saying to install scales

And in the Barlow tutorial only has one bolster so would not apply

I started this post due to your request for more questions and pictures posted so here is the question. I understand attaching the bolsters and have no problem figuring out their location where my lack of understanding lays is cutting the scales to the proper size and angles so that you will have a nice tight and professional looking fit. I have seen others who attach the front bolster on each side (closest to blade when knife is unfolded) and then trim scales to size and then hold rear bolster up tight and attach to liner. However I would prefer you method of attaching both bolsters then trimming scales.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Skilled

This is just my 2 cents but I think the more fail safe way to do it would be to start with the bolsters and work your way back. So you would be fitting the rear bolsters to the already attached scales as the last step of three pieces.

Again just my opinion.

Sean

Knifemaker's Guild - Voting Member
Custom Knife Collectors Association

Homepage: www.oharecustomknives.com
Email: sean@oharecustomknives.com
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 PM

Thanks Sean, I really appreciate your response. That is what I am thinking of trying. I am thinking about just cutting out a liner and attaching a bolster and going from there instead of messing with it in the middle of a build.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

I square one end of the handle material, normally the pivot end, and push it up against the bolster and let the handle set on top of the rear bolster. I hold it tight against the front bolster and then mark the rear bolster with a pencil in the liner side. I mark the edge of the material so I can see it from the front side and then mark the front side just a little longer. Cut off the excess and grind a little ay a time until the handle material starts fitting between the bolsters. I use a disk grinder for this.

Test fit often and make sure the material fits flat against the bolsters. When they both fit attach them to the liners and cut off the excess and grind to the edges of the liners.

I hope this explains what you were asking for.

Here is a photo with one fit.

Craig

Last edited by Craigb; 04-05-2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Hall of Famer

I do it the same way Craig does.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks a lot Craig B. That really helps a lot. I am looking forward to making a double bolster knife now.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Master

One other way to do this is exactly as stated but to dove tail the bolsters. Make sure to do the dovetail at 45 degree with a slight angle on both bolsters like a very wide V angle. Mark as stated above and dovetail the handle scales close to the marks then slide the handle scale into the opening. If it doesn't fit (oversized) take a little (millimeter) at a time. Then once it is in place drill/pin or screw in place. This will take practice and extra time but once turned over it adds an extra dimension to the finished folder. I normally offset my bolsters at about 5 to 12 degree shift from the spring side. Wider at the spine side and narrower at the blade opening side.
Hope that I didn't confuse you to much.

Tags
apply, art, back, blade, bolster, bolsters, build, edge, folder, handle, knife, knives, made, make, makers, making, material, pivot, post, problem, scales, toothpick, trapper, tutorial