MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Refurb on WWII German Bayonet

I dielivered a custom order today, which is destined as a gift for young lady upon her graduation from the Air Force Academy later this month. Some hours after the buyer (the young ladies uncle) took delivery, he brought a friend back with a WWII German bayonet that is badly corroded. This man wants it "cleaned up without removing any pitting). The 2 men had apparently done some research prior to showing me the piece, and believe it was made in 1943. The blade is in good shape with the exception of the tip, which I will have to heat to straighten. I informed the owner of the effects this would have on the blades heat treat/temper, and his reply was "I know, but I only want it as a display".

My question to anyone who has tackled this type of project is: how can I remove most of the rust, leave any pitting, bluing, and paint (on the scabbard), leaving the piece looking unrestored? I know, it seems like I've been asked to do a half-hearted job, but after thinking it over, this project is going to be more challenging than doing a total restoration.

My thoughts were to blast both components at low pressure and do an etch in lemon juice or perhaps vinegar to induce a kind of artificial patina. Does this make any sense to anyone?

At any rate, I appreciate any and all opinions and/or suggestions.
TT

Tags
back, bee, blade, blades, custom, etch, german, heat, heat treat, knife, made, make, paint, project, temper, wwii