MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Skilled

That will still be plenty of Blade. I cut 3 different deer horns and am not sold on any of them, I might use a piece of black palmwood I have...still deciding.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Master

It's big enough that's for sure lol. Black palm is pretty cool lookin stuff. I would like to try it out some time.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Skilled

Hit a Road Bump... Had the C guard all ready to shape it. Put it in a padded vice, tap, tap, tap with a hammer. Nothing. Bang, bang, bang...Nothing. BANG, BANG, BANG...Nothing except scratching the heck out of it. Ok, how about some heat? Put in in the forge, wait for it to get hot, put in vice, tap, tap/snap...

so now I either salvage this into a regular guard, or use some steel and restart from scratch.

here it is. Still deciding on handle. I think I have decided to go with 3 spacers, some oak burl and then the horn. will post pics as that comes together.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Master

That's to bad that the brass broke! I thought it would bend fairly easily.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
That's to bad that the brass broke! I thought it would bend fairly easily.

Ya about 2 hours work in the trash. I never thought brass would be so tough to bend. I annealed it twice last night and it still won't bend. I will either need to order more brass or make the guard out of steel. Which sorta changes my handle material choice. How is yours coming along?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Master

Steel would be cool too. Mines coming along pretty good. I've got the blade sanded to 180 I'm just trying to decide if I want file work on it or not. I'm thinking of using damascus for the guard and pomel. I've got some cheap Taiwan damascus that's not so good for blades.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
I think I feel the same as Metal99. I think the knife should be made during and for the KITH. We would love to have you join in and make one along with us, and it's a good excuse to start a new project where we give our very best effort knowing before hand that someone else is going to be receiving it.

I have 2 knives right here on my desk that would fit the description, but I'm excited to make one specifically for the KITH. My biggest problem is deciding on which of the ideas swirling in my head do I pursue?

A Loveless Dixon style? Sorta dainty and dexterous?
or something Like a Claudio-Cas bash your brains in style? I love em both and both are on my want to try list.

C'est La Vie,fellas. I can't afford to start a new one, so I'll wait for the next go round. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Skilled

I really want to get into this kith, i started a sharpfinger for the last kith but wasnt able to finish it until well after the kith was over. I have orders for 8 knives that i have to fill but i will try to multi task and start a fighter.

It is really hard to find time to be a knife maker as well as a single father, especially when the kids mom is a piece of crap and constantly skirts her parental responsibilities..... But im not bitter or anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Master

That would be great I you could join in! That's to bad about your situation man. Hopefully things get easier for you.

I added a bit of a bevel to the spine of mine and now I'm regretting it. I think it looks stupid.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Skilled

J dale, we would love to have ya join in. I'm lucky I guess, I can pretty regularly find several hours a day to work on knives. Most knives that means I can finish in 2-4 days. I have about 6 knives on order too, but some are waiting for materials (damascus) and the rest are in no hurry so I can divert my attention for a few days.

The decisions on this one are killing me tho. Knowing it is going to someone here has changed my thought process. Most of the time it is easy, make it exactly how I want to. On this one I have to think, ok what if it goes to someone with big hands or in the case of my current handle choice what if they are left handed. etc.

Here is about the 4th handle configuration I have worked up. I think I like this one, it is only in the rough. The butt end will have a steel cap. The wood will be lighter, I just put a little color on it to see if I liked a darker wood with the antler. I'll sand it off and leave it light.

I also am trying to decide if I want to remake the broken guard(here worked down to a usable one) with steel and have the C guard like I planned, or leave the brass guard.

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 02-23-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Steel Addict

Any problem with me doing a Kukri for this? Just figured I'd check first since it's a bit of an odd one.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakethings View Post
Any problem with me doing a Kukri for this? Just figured I'd check first since it's a bit of an odd one.
No problem at all. It fits the guidelines.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
That would be great I you could join in! That's to bad about your situation man. Hopefully things get easier for you.

I added a bit of a bevel to the spine of mine and now I'm regretting it. I think it looks stupid.

Doesn't look bad to me. Just looks like a long swedge.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Master

I think a kukri would be good after all they are technically a fighter. I don't have a clue what to use for handle materials. I had some nice cocobolo but me being stupid I slabbed it all up... I did the same thing with a nice Mexican ironwood carving lol. The only blocks I have are called for. Maybe I will do a stacked leather handle... Don't know tho

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Steel Addict

Last question, completion date?

Tags
1095, 5160, 550, apply, bee, blade, choose, common, damascus, folding knife, forge, guard, hamon, iron, knife, knives, made, pitch, pocket, pocket knife, post, simple, steel, throw, what kind