MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Steel Addict

Ja, got u on the list.

Can't wait to see what You guys are coming up with!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Master

Mine still needs bevels put in and I have to find a heat treater in my area because I don't want to deal with 1095 at the moment lol. Pics coming after my ice cream is done lol
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Master

Here are a couple pictures of my KITH knife and one other I am working on. These were taken at my kitchen table it is the closest thing I have to a shop at the moment . . . oh well.

Pretty much all the work I do on these knives is done with the files, I have a dremel but honestly I have more fun doing it by hand and feel I get better results. A belt grinder would be a totally different story lol

Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Steel Addict

Looking good! Keep it up,

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Steel Addict

working on mine profiled and ground ready for heat treat. Havent figured out pictures yet but maybe by july.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Master

Right on fuzzy for pictures I upload them to photobucket and post the image link on here
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Steel Addict

yeah, photobucket makes everything real easy. If you have trouble figuring out how to do it, you could email me your pictures, and I'll post them up for you.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Master

Well i'm not very happy right now . . . just got back from sears and they said the 2x42 belt sander is USA sears only . . . I looked around the city and can only find a 1x42 but i dont know if i want that . . .
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Steel Addict

Will they not ship to you from online either?

I would try calling their customer service and seeing if they could work it out with you.

If you have a grainger close to you you could get this one. I know Grainger has a Canadian counterpart so you could get lucky. Its over $200, but still well below the $500 +shipping for the grzzly knife grinder.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...4&ci_sku=6Y945

Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Master

Thats not a bad looking machine man. We have an Acklands Grainger here wich i think might be the "same" thing. I'll call them monday. It just sucks because I have so much time to work this weekend but no sander lol. I made a bunch of micarta today hopefully that stuff turns out
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Steel Addict

metal99 alot of knifemaking stuff is hard to find locally, i ended up ordering a grizzly a couple years ago and its worh every penny. if you ever need any help just let me know.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Master

So I looked on the acklands site and they don't carry that grinder in Canada . . .

What would you guys think about a 1x42 grinder to start with? I found a used one for 90 bucks looks like brand new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
metal99 alot of knifemaking stuff is hard to find locally, i ended up ordering a grizzly a couple years ago and its worh every penny. if you ever need any help just let me know.
I might end up going that rout because I cant find anything I like here. Where in SK are you from man?

Last edited by metal99; 04-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Steel Addict

It would really depend on what the HP is pushing the belt. The BIGGEST complaint I have about my 1x30 is that it stalls if I use any real pressure against the platen. If I remember correct it is only 1/3 hp, so anything over that would be a useful upgrade. I have seen several 1x42 belts available, so I doubt you would have much of a problem in that arena.

Only thing that would bother me about you going that route... is I know how it ends. You're already making knives without a grinder, so if you get one and you dont want to use it anymore because it isn't strong enough, and you dont want to go back to the dremel and files... then you are upgrading 3 weeks later.

I have to agree with Terence. I love my griz. Bang for the buck you cant find a better deal on a grinder. Sure, it has it's limitations, which will reveal themselves the more things you try to do... but there are ways around just about all of them.

If you were willing to drop the 220 for the grainger one, I'd say just keep using files for another pay period at work, then go ahead and get the grizzly. It would be worth the wait.

On the other hand, I'm sure a Bader would be worth the wait too - but I'm not that patient.

decisions decisions

Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Master

Ya "decisions decisions" is right man, some days I wish there just were no choices to be made when buying tools lol. Here are a couple pictures of the micarta I made yesterday!

Last edited by metal99; 04-08-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Steel Addict

Looks usable from what I can see. Mine looked similar until I trimmed all of the edges back about a half inch. after trimming, cut off a test piece and contour it out, and see what you've got!

Tags
art, blade, design, edge, files, grinding, handle, heat treat, image, knife, knifemaking, knives, material, plastic, post, press, project, resin, sharpening, sheath, stabilization, stabilizing, steel, supply, tips