MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Steel Addict

SharpFinger KITH 2012

OK guys, here is the official thread for the Sharpfinger KITH. We had enough interest from the feeler thread to get this going so here we go.

Theme is Sharpfinger knives with sheath included.

That being said the only guideline we established is best quoted from Recurve: we will be "allowing artistic freedom as long as it stays in the spirit of the name "sharp finger". A sharp tool that acts like the extension of the hand.

Open class on all materials for blade, handle, accessories, and sheath - anything goes.

If you are a in-process picture taker, by all means keep them coming. Everybody loves pictures! Plus it can add to the excitement of this thing and lure in some new entries.

Everybody should understand that since this description is SOOOO broad, you have a TON of breathing room for your interpretation. I know a couple of us who have already started our knives have gone with a more traditional "sharpfinger" design, similar to the old timer/schrade sharpfinger. You are by no means required to make a knive that looks anything like this - as long as you can justifiably consider the design suitable for the same purposes.

Due date will be Aigust 1st, 2012.

Anyone is free to join - pros and newbies alike- , and late entries are always welcome. I will maintain the participant list at the end of this post, and update as people enter/drop.

On August 1st, we will have a roll call of everyone who completed in time, and I'll throw those names into the random number generator. Everyone should post the picture of their finished knife and sheath during this roll-call. Results will be posted by the end of August 2nd - just to give everyone a chance to jump online and chime in they are finished.

After names are drawn and posted, everyone should contact who they will be sending their knife to in order to get mailing addresses.

Each knife maker will be responsible for paying shipping on their knives to the new owner.

Now rules:

1. No kit knives - you need to make your blade from whatever raw material you choose

2. No "online printable" designs - everyone should come up with their own design.

3. All knives must be shipped within 3 days of names being posted (by august 5th)

4. To be included in final drawing, you must post up a pic of your completed knife as proof of eligibility.

5. Do your best, have fun, and everybody wins!!!

Entries: as of July 6

The Slacker
Recurve
Kostoglotov
Metal99
Fuzzy
Tuskbuster
Ncrobb
Jawilliams0426
Eli Jensen
Goldsmithy
Ctdflyboy

If I'm missing anyone, please chime in.

Last edited by Matt Bufford; 07-06-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Master

Awsome!!! Glad to see this 2012 KITH is on the road!!! This is going to be a fun project. Here is my design I have the blade roughed out I need to grind the bevels in and its heat treat time. Cant wait to see what other come up with for this KITH.

Julius

Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

sign me up please
Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Steel Addict

Your in. 7 already, this is shaping up to be a good group.

I just finished profiling my finger... And the blade. Will post up a pic when I have a chance.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Master

Right on Slacker cant wait to see it. What kind of steel did you use?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Steel Addict

It's 1/8" D2 tool steel. I hate working with it, but I have quite a bit of it, and it makes a fantastic knife blade. Pain in the butt to work though!

Photobucket
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Master

I don't know much about d2 but I do like the fact that it is ground like o1 The 1095 i have is hot rolled. D2 is a semi stainless? What do you use to cut and profile your blades?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Steel Addict

it is nice to have stock that is already faced. The best part is, I wordered several feet of it from onlinemetals.com and I ordered the oversized to save money. They ended up sending me precision ground, so I ordered some more. And again they sent me precision ground! But sure, I saved some money there, but this stuff destroys belts and saw blades, so I might as well be using expensive stainless.

For profiling I just lay my pattern cut out on the blade and blast with a few squirts of spray paint. Once dry, I go to the band saw and do a rough cut out. Then to the band saw on a 36 grit belt to finish the profile. Debur with 120 grit, and then on to beveling.

Unfortunately, I got my new pyro ceram platen in yesterday... and I broke it

I ordered a new one, but since I already removed my other platen liner I can't do any flat grinding until it comes in.

Oh well
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Master

Sweet man What kind of belt grinder do you have? I use a 3" cut off wheel to rough cut the shape then finish up with my dremel and files . . . I have about 3 hours into mine and yours is already further along. Another 3 or so hours with a file and i should have bevels put in lol. I was going to grind them in but the bench grinder is a bad idea.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Steel Addict

I have the grizzly knife grinder. Only $500, but it does leave some to be desired. But for someone of my limited skill level, it is fine. I'd imagine I'll upgrade after a couple years or so. I have a lot of tools to buy before then. At the top of the list is a ht oven!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Master

I bet the grizly is alot better then my dremel lol Ya man a heat treat oven would be really nice to have. There not very affordable for me tho. I'm slowly saving up for a kmg.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

I would love to have a KMG! hell, even a no weld grinder or a GIB. But the cost of a griz plus an evenheat oven is still less than a KMG!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Master

Ya man there not cheap. I dont know if I am going to buy an actual KMG or make the clone. I was also looking at the BEE grinder but anyways there a long tome away yet so lots of thinking time yet.

Last edited by metal99; 04-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Steel Addict

I'm in. Don't expect a masterpiece; I only have five completed knives under my belt but each one shows some improvement.

Robb
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrobb View Post
I'm in. Don't expect a masterpiece; I only have five completed knives under my belt but each one shows some improvement.

Robb
Its all good man, I only have one under my belt

Tags
art, blade, design, edge, files, grinding, handle, heat treat, image, knife, knifemaking, knives, material, plastic, post, press, project, resin, sharpening, sheath, stabilization, stabilizing, steel, supply, tips