MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

2011 Neck Knife KITH

This will be the official thread for the neck knife KITH.

Several people posted their intent to participate in the feeler thread. If you did, please also sign up on this thread so we have an official list. Any one else can also sign up here. This KITH is open to all makers, newbies and masters are equally welcome. Sign up will remain open until May 12. I will keep this post updated with the current list of participants. Please include your real first name (or whatever you like to be called) when you sign up so we can call each other by name.

The rules:
1. The subject will be a neck knife. There will be no minimum or maximum size rule, but the finished knife must be of a size and design that can be comfortably worn around the neck.

2. Since it is a neck knife, each one must include a sheath.

3. All work (except heat treating) must be your own on a knife made from scratch ? no kits, factory modifications, etc. The knife may be either forged or stock removed.

4. Any appropriate blade steel may be used and the finished knife must be fully hardened and functional.

5. Any handle material.

6. Please post WIP pics and comments on this thread to help generate discussion. The idea here is to enjoy the interaction with each other and to learn from each other. All participants please feel free to ask questions and also to answer questions and give advice and tips along the way.

7. The drawing date will be July 24 and all knives must be shipped by the end of July. That?s 4 ? months so you will have plenty of time to order supplies, send the blade out for heat treat, whatever you need to do.

8. The trade: on July 24 I will put the names of all participants in a hat and draw names to determine the order of the list. Each person will ship their knife to the name below their own name and the name at the bottom of the list will ship to the top name. Each maker will be responsible for insured shipping of their own knife.

9. Each participant must provide comments on the knife they receive to the maker.

Let?s have fun with this!
Tony

List of participants (as of April 19):
William (cbr900son)
Andrew R (ARCustomKnives)
Andy S (ranger1)
Jeff (CJS Knives)
Andy G (Andrew Garrett)
Tony (racinca)
Kevin (Kostoqlotov)
Terence (terence)
Boo (BDK)
Chris (gigante)
Andrew (AAK)
Jason (J. Lec)
Kurt (pipecrafter)
Jim (Recurve)
Mike (MikeSonnheim)
Doug (Doug Lester)
Josh (Borgesj)
Jim M (maxmadco)
Marty (Airborne Steel)
James (Jpeterman)

Last edited by racinca; 04-19-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Steel Addict

Sign me up William Bishop

Btw if u have friends who make knives send them the link here! They may want to join too!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Skilled

Count me in!

Andrew Riley

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Hall of Famer

I haven't done a KITH in a while. If noone minds I would like to participate. Sign me up Andy Sharpe.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Steel Addict

i am in and am very excited about this!!

Capt. Jeff Saylor

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM

As it doesn't look like we have enough 'Andys' about..., I guess I'll jump in.

I have some shop time coming up and can add something simple to the docket. Besides, I haven't been active enough lately--been building a boat--still am.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Good to see ya about Andrew. Why are you building a boat ? You live in Kansas.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Well, we are off to a good start with six people signed up already. I updated my first post with the current list of participants. Any more Andy's want to play?
Tony

Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Skilled

I'm in - Kevin Toboja
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Steel Addict

im in
terence pinder
as long as no one minds shipping to canada
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
im in
terence pinder
as long as no one minds shipping to canada
Sry no canadians allowed! Just kidding Welcome aboard!

So last night I randomly couldnt sleep and mind was racing and thinking about this kith and the idea for mine hit me! I never was into neckers but i decided to do something more artful yet useful as a small utility knife. I need to draw up my ideas and see if I can make it work or not first tho.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM

I tell ya Ranger..., it's been an interesting year. I'm still trying to stay active with the KCKA (link below), but tattoos have gone through the roof and I was ALREADY busy! Recession my butt! People always have money for what they want, just not for bills and silly stuff like that, ehh?

The boat is a new passion--a 14' mahogany runabout in classic trim. I stumbled into it like I did knifemaking, tattooing, marriage, and all the other cool things in my life. I've been pretty active in the Glen-L forums and met another great community of craftsmen just like this one--deffinately kindred spirits. Don't you dare check out the forums at www.glen-l.com. It will possess your soul man, I know how you think! lol

Backed up on knife orders as usual, but already planning a stainless beauty as a companion to the boat (complete with mahoagny handle). I just need to win that dang lottery, so I have more time for the hobbies I love!

BTW, Thanks for the Blurb inspiration! I published a book of tattoo work with 1000 images! You can peek here: http://www.blurb.com/search/site_sea...lter=bookstore

Lookin forward to this knife fellas! For those of you who don't know me, I moderate this forum, so let's have some fun! Thanks for taking charge racinca!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett View Post
I tell ya Ranger..., it's been an interesting year. I'm still trying to stay active with the KCKA (link below), but tattoos have gone through the roof and I was ALREADY busy! Recession my butt! People always have money for what they want, just not for bills and silly stuff like that, ehh?

The boat is a new passion--a 14' mahogany runabout in classic trim. I stumbled into it like I did knifemaking, tattooing, marriage, and all the other cool things in my life. I've been pretty active in the Glen-L forums and met another great community of craftsmen just like this one--deffinately kindred spirits. Don't you dare check out the forums at www.glen-l.com. It will possess your soul man, I know how you think! lol

Backed up on knife orders as usual, but already planning a stainless beauty as a companion to the boat (complete with mahoagny handle). I just need to win that dang lottery, so I have more time for the hobbies I love!

BTW, Thanks for the Blurb inspiration! I published a book of tattoo work with 1000 images! You can peek here: http://www.blurb.com/search/site_sea...lter=bookstore

Lookin forward to this knife fellas! For those of you who don't know me, I moderate this forum, so let's have some fun! Thanks for taking charge racinca!
If you need some mahogany let me know. Buddy works for a higher end window and door place and gets me free scraps all the time. I can hook you up with a few scales for the price of shipping. Its 1 7/8" wide x 5/8" thick and can cut what length you need. the pieces he gave me are 1-3' long.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks CBR, but I've got a few hundred pounds of the stuff. Pretty wood!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

We're up to 8 now - let's keep this growing.

Tags
52100, art, ats-34, blade, digital, first post, forge, forged, heat treat, hobby, kit, kits, knife, knife kit, knifemaking, knives, kydex, neck knife, pins, post, scales, sheath, supplies, tactical, tang