MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM

field tested!

Just a note to talk about the camp knife that Bruce Bryant (Cadillac Forge) made for me back in the Camp/Assasin KITH.

It's a big drop point of the classic camper style and I had not done more than cut some paper to test it out until yesterday.

I've been keeping it in the truck for emergency use and while at Kaw lake in Oklahoma, I found a number of uses while actually camping.

I was wearing cargo shorts w/no belt, so I just dropped it in my leg pocket sheath and all. I am the official 'grille-miester' of our clan, so it got a workout cut-testing flatiron steaks on the grill. Being short of steak knives, it also filled that gap for yours truly and did a fine job earning a few nods as I ate right off the end of this foot long knife.

It then had to cut a paper plate for scraping up a broken beer bottle and some tangled line in a friend's gear.

I was hoping to do some choping, as this baby has such a thick hollow grind that it still has a heavy convex edge and is surprisingly sharp given the edge geometry. That opportunity escaped me.

At a 1/4" thick for most of its length, it's not a 'quick' knife by any means--it's not made to be. However, it is very good a t being what it is: a heavy duty/multi-use camp knife.

Thanks Bruce! The blade has a bit of patina now (I like my steaks a bit rare), but it's still sharp and is now a permanent part of my camping gear. Great job brother!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Skilled

What no pics? You know the saying Andy. It sounds like it will be a great addition to your collection. Congrats.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Steel Addict

wow what a pleasent complient, i picture the perfect camp knife as an edged tool that can take a beating, ands thats what i was going for, its great to hear a review from someone
who knows knives maybe i will get lucky in a future k.i.t.h. and get one of yours, i dig
your style. all the pics of this kith can se seen here http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48751
thanks again bruce

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett
It then had to cut a paper plate for scraping up a broken beer bottle and some tangled line in a friend's gear.
What? Please tell me it was empty before it was broken....

Nice review! I think sometimes we're all caught up so much in the design comments during the KITHs that we forget to review the knives while in use after the fact. While I think the design comments are important, nothing compares to a real world review after use.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Yes it was empty... nonetheless, I said a silent prayer as I disposed of the remains. lol

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

That's an awesome review. I just looked at the other knives also. those are some beasts not knives haha.

http://mississippi-hikers-blogspot.blogspot.com/

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives