MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Been watching this post, great ideas, and very talented makers. Great to watch!! Any progress as of late? Im waiting w/ baited breath!

Just curious, I have about 20# of shell fragments from Okinawa, and from the location they were recooverd from, Im told was mainly shelled from the Battle Ship Missouri the "Mighty Mo". Kind of forgot about them until I saw this post, cant wait to get home and give them a try! How is the best way to work this stuff? just get it uniformly flat, and start cutting and stacking? Do you think the can is a requirement? Any special flux needed?

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Chuck would probably be best to answer this question. We did not really set a time line on this project because we both had prior obligations. I believe Chuck used the box and dry welded the steel. I'm going to go to the battleship USS North Carolina next month. They have pieces of the original Teak (hope I spelled that right)decking that were left over from the make-over that you can purchase. Thought that would make a nice handle.
I'm finding that I like to make knives with things of some historical value. Those shell fragments you have are probably good steel. All the research I could find pointed to the fact that alot of the shells were high carbon steels. This helped to penetrate armor and helped the shells to fragment instead of just bending open at the weakest point.
I'd just do as Chuck did and forge out a small piece and do a hardening break test on it.
This project is a slow one but hopefully will be worth it. I'd love to see one that you make.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Skilled

Mike,

Unfortunately I have been attempting to get a new well put in.. So I have been unable to work on anything for the past few weeks. I hope to be caught up this week though and get back to the important stuff like making knives. I like the can or dry welding as it removes some of the problems associated with flux welding. As you can see from the posts I forged the material into similar sizes then welded them together. I did an etch of the billet and it will show a very distinct contrast. If you have shell fragments and if they are anything like what I am using you wil be very happy. Good luck.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Hall of Famer

OK, I'm excited. I know how it is Chuck, seems everything that can go wrong has in the last 2 weeks. It's settleing down now maybe I can get back in the shop. Good luck on that well. Make her deep!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Guys,

I know its no fun when "Life Happens" and takes away that preciuos shop time!

I am working on a knife for my father who was with the occupation forces in Germany at the end of the war, then years later was stationed in Okinawa. He also fought in Korea, and Vietnam. Somthing I never realized until a few years ago when he was at the VA hospital, I was asked if he was part of the Juvinal veterans groups. I was miffed until he told me that it was very common of guys from my Dad's era to lie about their age to join up. I aked him about his later and he laughed and said yes he was 14 when he signed up, and this was discovered while he was in Germany. Instead of booting him out, they made him take school classes during his off time. What he said was cool was that most of his teachers were very well respected collage proffessors who were out of work and homeless during the aftermath of WWII.

I have a piece of a WWII Era Tiger Tank barrel, I have the Okinawa shell fragments, I have barbed wire from the 38th Parelell in Korea, and have a Vietnam era Chicom bayonet that I thought Id use to represent that theater.

I too like using historical materials in a blade, it just adds that "cool" factor for me.
Ive got Wrought Iron bars from a confederate prison, and 2 links from a spanish gallion wreck (so they say!)

Ill often let customers know that if they have any thing they would like to incorperate Ill be glad to talk to them about it.

Thats the joy in it for me, to be able to add the historical with the craft.

Cant wait to see how your project is comming. Have you decided yet if you are going to do an auction on this knife, or is it going to an individual?

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

That's an awesome collection of materials Mike!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Mike that is a list of true treasures. I see something great comeing.
Chuck and I have discussed it and thought about a raffle. That would give the average guy a chance to own a one -of knife. We'd have the final drawing at blade. And call the winner from there.
Lets have some input, would $10.00 a ticket be too much? Less, more?
I like the raffle thing because in life those with the most money have the best toys. The lottery gives away a $1,000,000.00 on a $10.00 ticket. many people can win that money. I'm pretty positive that there will never be another knife made from certified artifacts from Attu Island.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Mike that is a list of true treasures. I see something great comeing.
Chuck and I have discussed it and thought about a raffle. That would give the average guy a chance to own a one -of knife. We'd have the final drawing at blade. And call the winner from there.
Lets have some input, would $10.00 a ticket be too much? Less, more?
I like the raffle thing because in life those with the most money have the best toys. The lottery gives away a $1,000,000.00 on a $10.00 ticket. many people can win that money. I'm pretty positive that there will never be another knife made from certified artifacts from Attu Island.
Just my opinion, but I dont think $25 would be unreal for a raffle. You may have more people buy at $10 though. Ill be in for $50+ whatever way you go. Its a toss up. But I think $10 is as low as Id go. This is a knife made by a yourself and a ABS MS. It is truely a one of a kind piece, and it is going to a great cause. What else could make it such a win/win??

I aplaude you both in your efforts, and look forward to seeing this Historical masterpiece come to life!

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM

I'd go $20. It's reasonable, a single piece of paper, and anyone who'd pay ten would pay twenty.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Skilled

Mike, That would make one interesting blade or knife. You have something from just about every theater we have fought it, short of current conflict.

Andy,
So far as the raffle goes, $20 would be good, possibly do 3 for $50 or the like. Though $10 might sell more tickets. Kind of 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Hall of Famer

I thought about it for a while and agree $20.00 seems to be a fair number. $10.00 seems cheap. Like Andrew said $20.00 is a single bill, easyer to let go of.
Do you think we'll have a problem selling the tickets and doing the drawing at Blade?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Skilled

I do not think there would be any problem doing the drawing at Blade. I am not sure I will be able to go but I hope to. I think that would actually be a great time to do it. Might even be able to talk to the producers and see about drawing at the awards banquet.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Skilled

Sorry to but in, but are ya all talkin about next years blade or the Blade Show West in September this year. Just curious.. I will be at blade west this year and would love to set my sights on such a masterpiece, and would be very interested in some tickets. Thanks, Shane
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome Shane, We're talking about next year in Atlanta. There is still alot to do. Alot of which can't be done until the knife is finished. I am working on the book that will go with the knife trying to get as much done as possible leaving spaces for finished pics of the knife. Once finished it'll have to go out for the scrimshaw and pics. I am presently getting estimates for the printing of the raffle tickets.
Anyway once the knife is finished I'll post all the info for getting tickets. And ordering copies of the book.
Chuck I hope you can make it. It wouldn't feel right to do the drawing without you there.
I'll talk with you about that.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Skilled

Yes it will be for Blade 2009. I hope to make it also, I need to justify the expense to the better half. I will have to see how Blade West goes if I can afford a table.

Shane stop by my table at Blade West. I might have more done on the blade and bring it there or at least have picks. Also if you are interested I have VIP passes???

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Tags
abs, bee, blade, carving, forge, forging, handle, how to, knife, knives, made, make, materials, post, project, randall, scrimshaw