MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Question WWII Project

Here's the deal, I want to make a knife in honor of my Uncle Herb.He passed away last year.he was a WWII vet. Anyway I am 99% sure I can obtain scrappnell from the battlefield where he was wounded.That in itself has been an awfull lot of work.It is now a protected area and I will have to have Gov. approval to retrieve relics.Paperwork is in the process.
Anyway what I want to do is make a knife,something along the lines of the Collins V44.I want to forge the blade from the scrappnell san-mai with a 1080 core.The guard and fittings will be made from the shell fragments.
Once finished the knife will be auctioned or raffeled with 100% of the sale price going to the WWII veterans memorial fund.In rememberance of Uncle Herb.
here's where the help I need comes in,
Whats the best avenue to auction?
How do I get the word out that its even being Auctioned?
Which one of you guys or gals does scrimshaw cheap?
This is personally a special project for me,If I can get threw the legal red tape I hope to have it finished by the 2010 Blade show.I am going to finish the orders I have then donate 100% of my time to this project.
Any advice on the forgeing,design thoughts,sheath design,are all welcome.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited by ranger1; 01-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Andy,

I just finished the sheath for our collaboration project today and was thinking about how best to auction the knife for what may be the exact same memorial, if I recall the feedback from the Vet's Knife thread.

I'm not sure if we should just send the knife and let them do their own auction, as I'm sure that they are practiced in orchestrating their own fund-raising activities, or do it ourselves.

Whatever you find out, let me know. I think I'll just call them and see what they say. I'm gonna go post some preliminary pics of the sheath and then I'll get on the phone.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM

I just got off the phone with the WWII museum in New Orleans.

While they have professional fund raisers working for them, they don't do auctions of any kind, or at least haven't yet. They are more than happy to recieve whatever funds they can, but are not likely to be the best equipped to liquidate a knife into usable money--especially a knife that will appeal to such a narrow slice of potential buyers who can appreciate a custom knife (and in at least one case, the rare material included in its construction).

That makes sense to me, and as knifemakers, we are probably better positioned to get it done. So, the way I see it Andy, you auction your knife here in the 'for sale by maker' forum. Perhaps a reverse auction like one Tracy Mickley did a couple of years ago. Set a target price and lower it by $10 every other day or something similar, until it sells. Other options would include, the Blade show this summer (which I'll be at), or even Ebay (not my first choice).

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Hall of Famer

I still have to investigate some avenues.The whole project is taking on a life of its own.
It will be worth it.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Andy,

If getting some materials from a battlefield is difficult, have you thought about asking veterans to donate materials they may have brought back as souvenirs?

Nathan
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Hall of Famer

I so far have verbal approval from the person who can Ok it.I had to submit a formal request. I'm just now waiting for the formal OK.The piece I wii be getting is an exploded 3" arttillery round.Weighs about 10 lbs.Any metal not used in the knife has to be returned.
My contact has the shell in hand,but to cover his butt needs approval.Also this will verify the authenticity of the materials.
I'm hopeing to be able to auction the knife at The Blade Show in 09.If all goes well.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Just an update,Received formal approval today.The reason it was hard to get what I wanted was because its from Attu Island Alaska.Noone lives there except 20 U.S.coast Guard personal.The Island is a National Wildlife Refuge and a National Historic Site.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Skilled

What an amazing idea!

We're all gonna need pics!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Pics will happen.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Skilled

Andy

This intrigues me a lot. I am a Navy Vet and was stationed on Adak Island in the Aleutian Islands. Though I was there in 1987-1990. I am willing to help out where ever possible. If I may make a suggestion, in my work with the Scott Taylor scholarship fund I found the Knife Network Forum has a worthy cause Auction/sales site. In communicating with Coop he suggested a raffle of some sort. This way you could set a minimum amount you want to get and sell tickest until that goal or a time line is reached. Then draw the winner. This opens things up for far more participation from the "average joe". Just a suggestion. Good luck and let me know if I can help out.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Chuck, Thank-you for your offer.I actually was considering doing a collaboration with a JS or MS on this blade if I could find one willing. My forging skills are not to the level that I would like to see this project done on. It has become more important to me every day. At first is was a cool piece of steel,now I see it is a piece of history. Now that I have the shell in my possession I am almost scared to start,(If I don't start I can't screw it up)

Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM

Andy,

Like you, I feel a very strong connection to wartime history and a powerful drive to honor and preserve it.

I'm proud of you. Keep us informed!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Andy, Like I said I will help out ANY way you wish. If you need help forging this piece let me know. Are you planning some Damascus or are you going to use the fragments for fixtures. I don't know if it can be done for this years Blade Show but it can be ready for next year. I would rather see it wait and not be rushed. But this is your baby, just let us know how we can help.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks guys alot.
Chuck,I am not sure yet. if it'll make a blade or not. James Batson showed me how to test it to see if it would Harden properly. I'm going to try and test a small piece this week-end to see if it will make a blade.If not ,I was thinking of maybe san-mai or damascus. Blade 2009 is my goal. I have a walrus tusk I got in alaska in the early 70's. to make the handle with. Handles and guards are my strong points. I forge a decent blade but,not to the level this blade needs to be. If you would be interested in a colaberation on this project I would be honored. I also totally understand if this would not be possible. I think it would be something to see.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Skilled

Absolutely. I would be very honored to help in a collaboration. Blade 2009 would be perfect. I am hoping to go for MS then also. if you want to draw what you are thinking or we can just talk about it. Thank you for doing this.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Tags
abs, bee, blade, carving, forge, forging, handle, how to, knife, knives, made, make, materials, post, project, randall, scrimshaw