MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbert Ealy
Andy,
Lets kick it up a notch. I have 2 pcs of 3/16 x 1 1/4 x 9" random damascus that I would be willing to donate. Questions can be directed to me about heat treating and finishing for this steel. Although this does rule out differential heat treating. ( I think it takes away from the beauty of the steel.)
Ok...now I am officially intimidated....thanks Del.....lol
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Guru

I would love to be a driver on one of these. The forge is what I love. However, I am not an expert at sheathmaking, but I would also be willing to be the Tailor on one if better sheathmakers are not forthcoming.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM

Delbert,

Do you think a neck quench just under where the front of the handle would go would work for your steel? That way we can keep the tang soft enough for the doctor to drill holes, or should we make it so that the driver drills the holes and that's what the doctor uses to fit a handle? I'm thinking in terms of a full tang here, but the same issue exist for a stick tang.

Scott,

Are you set up to finish damscus? I can help with that if need be.

Here is how I see it thus far:

Knife #1 (full tang / Ealy damascus)
Driver: Andy Garrett (this design will not require a guard)
Chef: J. Scott
Doctor: Jim Drouillard
Tailor: Carl Price

Knife #2 (Ealy damascus is available if the driver wishes to use it)
Driver: Joe (jdm61) Indicates he is willing to HT if the chef would tackle a guard
Chef:
Doctor:
tailor: Andy garrett

Knife#3 (TBA)
Driver: Carl Price
Chef:
Doctor:
Tailor:

Absolutly none of this is engraved in stone fellas. I'm just trying to get organized.
Joe, if you'd rather work steels you are familiar with, you could pass Delbert's damascus on to Carl. Or, if your tendons don't feel some relief, you might consider stepping into the role of Chef or Doctor on blade #2 and Carl could step into being the Driver. You spoke up first sir, so the option is yours.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 02-08-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett
Delbert,

Do you think a neck quench just under where the front of the handle would go would work for your steel? That way we can keep the tang soft enough for the doctor to drill holes, or should we make it so that the driver drills the holes and that's what the doctor uses to fit a handle? I'm thinking in terms of a full tang here, but the same issue exist for a stick tang.

Scott,

Are you set up to finish damscus? I can help with that if need be.

Here is how I see it thus far:

Knife #1 (full tang / Ealy damascus)
Driver: Andy Garrett (this design will not require a guard)
Chef: J. Scott
Doctor: Jim Drouillard
Tailor: Carl Price

Knife #2 (Ealy damascus is available if the driver wishes to use it)
Driver: Joe (jdm61) Indicates he is willing to HT if the chef would tackle a guard
Chef:
Doctor:
tailor: Andy garrett

Knife#3 (TBA)
Driver: Carl Price
Chef:
Doctor:
Tailor:

Absolutly none of this is engraved in stone fellas. I'm just trying to get organized.
Joe, if you'd rather work steels you are familiar with, you could pass Delbert's damascus on to Carl. Or, if your tendons don't feel some relief, you might consider stepping into the role of Chef or Doctor on blade #2 and Carl could step into being the Driver. You spoke up first sir, so the option is yours.
I'll do a carbon steel blade. That way i can take a couple of runs at it if need be......i would HATE to have to secretly buy a couple of more pieces of Del's steel after i screwed up the one he so generously donated...lol. Tendonitis is about gone an I have been using to time to actually finish some knives What is the time frame for having the projects finished? I suspect it will be a bit before Veterans day Another thought. Since these will be collaborative efforts, should we come up with a special logo to use in lieu of the ####### mark? This would say that it would probably have to be electro etchedas opposed to being stamped, cuz stamps are X-PENSIVE even if you are going to use them more than 3 times......lol. I also would like to suggest (and this may be real obvious, but I'll say it anyway) that the ####### take their rough inspiration from any decent sized fixed blade knife that might have been on the hip or web gear of a soldier in combat. That can cover a lot of territory. Everything from an Ames rifleman's knife to a Loveless chute or Moran ST23. Imagine a Ka Bar inspired knife with a Delbert Early blade some wild burl handle....that would be cool. And the billets that he has so generously offered to donate are JUST the right size for anything short of a big bowie I would suggest that whoever works with the damascus stick to stock removal just to avoid any mishaps. i know most of you guys have more time in the trenhes than i, but why take a chance whenDel has already done all of the hard work...lol.They are random pattern billets, so we don't have to worry about forging to shape so that the pattern follows the curve of the blade.

Last edited by jdm61; 02-08-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Steel Addict

Andy,
a "neck quench" should work just fine. The steel is 1095 15n20 and a little mild steel to drop the carbon content a bit.
Joe,
Forging this mix is a dream, don't be intimitated by it. Thanks for all the positive comments.
Thanks guys,
Del

Delbert Ealy
www.ealyknives.com
custom damascus in high carbon tool steels
www.mokume-jewelry.com
gold, silver, and palladium mokume rings for under $1000
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Living Legend

I'll doctor the other two if no one steps up but as I don't use carbide bits I will need to have the tangs soft unless the handle is part of the blade design & the holes are already punched.

Here is an example from the site I got the material from of some handle material I'd like to donate to one of the knives I do the handle on:

So if one of the ####### wants to do a dress style let me know. I can do a small EDC or a hunter with about 3.5" - 4" handle. If not I have other materials.

I also have some more of the USS Constitution wood and copper plate from my second trip to the ship to deliver the project knife to the Captain. While I will donate this I can't really make it a selling point as they weren't able to give out papers (again) with it.

I will send the wood to someone if they choose doctor on one but the seraphinite I get to do the finishing on .

Jim

Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Ok. So... Here's what we have for now. I'll use some of Delbert's random and work it a bit on the anvil to form the tip, but the bevels will depend on what Scott can work with.

I can do a flat grind or a hollow with an 8" wheel. If you don't have an 8" wheel Scott, I'll do the flat. Let me know what I'm limited to since you'll have to finish my bevels.

Del, Thanks for the HT info. Scott, you should plan on a neck quench so Jim can drill his own holes and stretch his creative legs on the handle.

Jim, I make larger knives than you do in general. A profile from me will have a handle around 4.5"-5" depending on what I go with (hey, I'm a big guy). If the stuff you want to use, isn't quite long enough, then do some kind of composite or a bolster, or use that awesome looking stuff as the bolster itself. I know you'll figure something out brother!

As far as it being a dressy knife, yea! I was leaning toward a combat style profile inspired by the great bayonets and fighting knives of the 20th century, but even the toughest troops have dress uniforms!

Joe, The time frames are explained in the original post. Each maker gets the knife for roughly 60 days. We should be done by Nov 1st. As far as a maker's mark is concerned... let's kick that around a bit. Everyone does it differently. Perhaps no mark on the blade, but a certificate of origin with that info and an explaination of the project could go with the knife to the new owner. Just a thought.

Carl, It looks like there's another piece of Del's damascus to be used unless he talks Joe into it. If we get enough interest to do a third, you're the driver. I'd do triple duty if I had to and Jim has offered to be the Doctor on all three if need be, but I'd really like to see some diversity in the participants. Part of the idea is to not create too much work for any one person. I have you as the tailor on #1 right now too.

We're still shuffling around though. I'd like to be solid on at least one knife by the 1st of March. Two would be great! Three would be awesome! If the second and third get late starts, so be it.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Living Legend

You go with your design & I'll work with it. I have quite a selection of materials including some fibermascus that alternates tan & a reddish brown giving a desert camo look to it. I have some 65 year old fence posts made from bois de arc that when you remove the outer layers is an incredible dark golden brown. I have some amazing feathered black walnut crotch. I even can make a set of scales out of stacked leather that would still give the picture of a hidden tang stacked handle on a full tang.

Trust me I got it covered. I'll save the seraphinite for another if it doesn't work.

Jim

P.S. I can do the chef on one but I'm not that great with carbon HT, I work mostly in stainless

Last edited by Drac; 02-08-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Ok,I can't stand it put me in as the doctor on #2.I'll do the guard also if noone objects.
Just so I got it :I'd be doing the handle guard and final finish ? Oh yea and sharpening.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Guru

I would love to work with a piece of Delbert's damascus. It will be forged, because the knife will be better from me if I forge it. I have made it to the point in my forging that the knife will be better than any stock removal from me would be.

This will be a good experience!

--Carl

Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Andy,

I can finish damascus or differential HT with satinte or edge quech what ever might be needed.

Scott

Just read all the above posts;
I think an Electro-etching to comemerate this knife would be great. Either the Chef or Doctor could apply it, but it needs to be special.
Andy I have a Grizzley grinder with an 8" wheel. I like flat grinding better in most cases because it gives a little more back-up to the edge of the blade. If push comes to shove I can take it over to the brother-in-law's place and use his variable speed KMG. ( BIL= Robert Dark)

Last edited by J. Scott; 02-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Guru

If someone comes up with a design, I can cut the stencil, and send it to the Chef or the Doctor.

Andy, get me the steel, and I will have thought out a basic plan by the 1st of March and ready to start.

--Carl

Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Steel Addict

about the only thing i could contribute is filework and handles, if anyone is interested.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Ok,I can't stand it put me in as the doctor on #2.I'll do the guard also if noone objects.
Just so I got it :I'd be doing the handle guard and final finish ? Oh yea and sharpening.
Guard and finish, my man. but not to worry if you are working with me. We have very similr ideas regarding what a soldier's knife should look like. since i am going to forge it anyway, I will send it to you already heat treated after grinding to 120 grit but with the crud still on the blade and sufficient edge thickness so you have a relatively blank canvas to work with. The person who does the handle will have no choice but to follow our evil design....suffice to say that you two guys will probably be doing finish, handle, guard and BUTTCAP too.......muah,ha,ha,ha

Last edited by jdm61; 02-08-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Unless I read it wrong I'll be doing the handle also.I do have something in mind although the blade will definatly dictate the handle.And the buttcap.I get to see it finished first.Lucky me
That would make you the driver and the Chef.( if you do the heat treat).Then I'll send the finished knife to Andrew for a new pair of shoes.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives