MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM

Still Around

So, I haven't made a knife in two or three years now. I learned to fly and got my pilot's #######, built a mahogany boat from scratch, sold a house, bought a house, finished my degree, wrecked a motorcycle..., been busy as hell! Life...

Anyway, the new house has a three car attached and two car detached garage. The detached building is now a dedicated knife shop, and I am finally grinding steel again.

Years ago, I made a push dagger for a KITH and shipped it to Australia where it was promptly seized by customs (they are not legal there). Months later, it was returned to me and I sent a more appropriate blade to replace it.

A rather popular knife photographer around these forums, wound up buying the dagger and shooting some great photos of it which listed me as the maker. Those photos wound up on another knifemaking forum, and were seen by a lady in Ukraine. She did some sleuth work and tracked me down to discuss making a similar knife for her husband. After determining that this was not a scam (always a concern with oversees orders), we settled on the details and I began work.

I'm almost done with the project, and it feels great to be making knives again. There were a few audibles called (makers prerogative), and she may reject it after seeing the photos prior to delivery, but we'll just have to see about that. My concern is the ever changing relationship with that region of the world.

I recently did business with a Ukrainian merchant on some radio equipment for my airplane. Now I am corresponding regularly with a Ukrainian concerning what could be defined as an 'international arms deal'. Should I be worried about landing on a DHS watch list?

In any case, it's good to be back!

Here is the original dagger:

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome back. Really miss seeing your work here, now I can quit Jonesin' for some Garrett -Jim-

www.shullhandforgedknives.com
Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Its been more than a year since starting this thread. Since then, I've made several knives. The most recent, is another of these daggers which seem to be getting more and more attention. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I finish the sheath. The total number of these is now up to five!

I placed some other projects on hold while I make a serious run at knifemaking as a business pursuit. I have geared up with a new logo, banners, business cards, a credit card reader and business account, a marketing strategy for different 'series' of knives, etc. I have a table at the next gun & knife show in Wichita and we'll see how it goes. It's as much a test as anything.

Ten years of knifemaking has seen some design changes, new ideas about form and function, and a quicker production time on certain knives for me. I want to know how receptive the public is to my efforts.

I also intend to use the trade shows as a tool to educate potential clients on what exactly goes into making custom knives. I'll have billets, blanks, and other knives at every stage of the process there. I'll bring my design portfolio and order forms to take custom orders and maybe even a few shops pics. I think that maybe I can enhance interest if people see what is involved. Years of watching shows like 'How It's Made' and 'How do They Do That?' has taught me that there is a renewed interest is industrial art and fine craftsmanship. We will see if I'm correct.

My best friend is a new gun dealer and he will have the tables next to mine, so this opportunity comes at a good time for me. I'll give you a full report after the first show.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Steel Addict

Looking forward to the pics.

Coop is more than just a photographer, the man is an artist.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Yes he is.
I figure I owe him a drink.

Pics are up in the Display Case BTW.

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
back, bee, blade, building, case, custom, custom knives, dagger, design, display case, grinding, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, man, post, project, push dagger, scratch, sheath, shop, steel