MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Visvalor

I need THE knife made.

I was raised with in a family that takes their knives very seriously, but over the years I've become disgusted with the factory made shanks I see available in mass production today. My last "good" knife was a WWII Kabar and it was stolen. So I have been "knifeless" for quite some time and am looking to replace that blade with something more akin to my tastes. I could get into knife making, but it would take a considerable amount of time to acquire the skill necessary to meet my own standards. Therefore I would like to commission a knife to suit my needs.

Fixed blade.
Plain blade.
Full tang.
Leather stacked.
Sub hilt.
Double guard.
Glass breaker butt.
Blade overall roughly 8"
Handle overall roughly 6"

A fuller would be nice if possible.

Thickness to be recommended by knife artist.

Metal is negotiable based on your recommendations, but I personally have always preferred 440C.

The actual blade itself is hard to describe, I've been told what I want is called a spear point, but in my opinion it's more of a broad drop point with a swedge. Posted below is the closest picture Google Images could find of the type of blade I would like. I do not want a double blade, only a swedge.

Last edited by Visvalor; 04-07-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I'd be willing to discuss the project with you. Please send me a PM or email. For the benefit of anyone of those considering your project, what is your budget for this knife?

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Visvalor

I haven't an idea on budget. I was hoping someone could tell me what it would cost to make a quality knife and we'd go from there. All I ask is you keep it reasonable of course.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if everyone that sends me a bid or makes an offer would keep in mind this is a single piece of steel. Not a folder or an ornate piece.

Last edited by Visvalor; 04-07-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
All I ask is you keep it reasonable of course
When your talking a Sub-hilt design, with stacked leather handle, that must be a totally different design than the picture you posted....it will require a hidden tang design. That alone increases the difficulty of properly building the knife, and therefore will increase the overall costs. The sub-hilt adds another level of difficulty to the design.

Quote:
I would appreciate it if everyone that sends me a bid or makes an offer would keep in mind this is a single piece of steel. Not a folder or an ornate piece.
I can understand that your seeking to commission this piece for the minimum cost you can, but you need to give anyone interested in producing it for you, and idea of what you're seeking/willing to spend. If I'm understanding the design your looking for, it is not a simple, "single piece of steel." It's going to have to be a hidden tang, multiple piece guard system (the sub-hilt), and if the handle is stacked leather, it will also require some type of butt cap, which adds another degree of difficulty in production when you add in the "glass breaker".
Very likely the reason I've been the only one to respond so far is that a knife of this type is not a "simple" build....in fact it becomes complex when considering all the features you mentioned.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to help you understand that the knife you described is not a "simple" project, and from a quality maker, will likely cost far more than the figure you have in mind. To give you some idea, before I would produce it, you would have to be willing accept some changes, namely the handle length you mentioned. With a handle that long, the knife would be badly out of "balance".
Cost, will likely vary greatly based on the maker, and the level of quality that maker produces. Speaking strictly for myself, that figure would be in the $700-$1000 range. That is not a "bid", but simply for informational purposes.
Hopefully some other makers will chime in...... and give you less expensive figures.

In a situation like this, there are essentially two choices....
1. If you want a "custom" piece, with the highest levels of quality and craftsmanship, it's going to be "expensive". Deleting the sub-hilt requirements would give you a lot more "working room", as many makers know the difficulty level of correctly producing a sub-hilt design, and will shy away from them.
2. If cost is a major consideration, an option is to take your time and look around for a production knife that comes as closely as possible to your requirements. While you might not get all the features you desire, it will cost considerably less than a "custom" knife.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Visvalor

Would be fine if you just extended the bottom a bit to make it a blunt point. It would still fit the same purpose. Leather stacked is completely optional, if it really increases the difficulty then I'd simply cut it out. The above would be an absolutely fine layout if the tip pointed more forward for a spear effect than back.

This would one is absolutely perfect. As for the measurements, the metal, the width and thickness I leave that in the hands of the designer to confirm with me.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvalor View Post

Would be fine if you just extended the bottom a bit to make it a blunt point. It would still fit the same purpose. Leather stacked is completely optional, if it really increases the difficulty then I'd simply cut it out. The above would be an absolutely fine layout if the tip pointed more forward for a spear effect than back.

This would one is absolutely perfect. As for the measurements, the metal, the width and thickness I leave that in the hands of the designer to confirm with me.
I have to agree with Ed. I could do the top knife for you as you described out of 3/16-1/4" CPM 154CM (440C improved) with G10 scales and a kydex sheath for 350-450$. The second one is beyond of my skill level and more along the lines of an artistic knife that I would not be interested in making. I would expect anyone making that knife for you to charge upward of 1000$.

If you are still looking and you want something like the first image I can do that. I do not work with leather though. You can check out my website to see the kind of work I do.

Harlen
shaw-shanks.com
Old 10-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

154CM and 440C are no where near in formula. ATS34 is the sucessor to 154 CM. The second knife is by the president of the Knifemakers Guild, Gil Hibben, One of the Master knife makers i was honored to study under in the early 70's when he lived in Alaska

Tags
blade, build, custom, design, fixed blade, folder, g10, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, kydex, kydex sheath, leather, make, project, scales, sheath, spear, steel, tang