MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-17-2003, 07:40 PM

An Offer

My site is starting to come together and I expect over the next few months some interesting things will happen that will make you want to stop buy.

One of the things I was thinking of doing was having a "Second Chance" knife sale area for custom knife makers to show and sell some of their excess-older, tactical/self defense knives at a discounted rate. I see this as doing a few good things...

One... Give new collectors a chance to buy an older quality knife at a decent price. Two... Allow makers to sell their older knives without having to carry the images on their web site or having to buy a web domain or even the hassel of selling.

It's just an idea as I'm trying to build content that will bring visitors. I would also appreciate in hearing some of your ideas as well.

If you would think you would be interested in my "Second Chance" idea or something like this please PM me so we can talk about it further.

Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 PM

Tac,

What you are offering can make good business sense...short term. However, it is a slipery slope.

The slippery slope can actually affect not only the maker but the dealer as well.

If a maker allows their knives to be sold at a discount. A couple things will happen.

First, if someone bought one similar, even if it was a few years ago. They are now irritated that they paid full price.

Second, People who know a lot about custom knives or just a little both are liable to get the same perception. This makers knives don't hold their value, no reson to buy one.

Third, as the maker obviously lowers his prices when the knives get "older". No reason to buy a new one. Just wait for it to show up on a discount site and buy it there. After all it's not like the "older" knives go bad.

Fourth, there are currently knife dealers, primarly web based, who already offer "discounted" knives. This of course was done without the knife makers consent. Ive talked with several of these knife makers who are pretty upset about it..

This of course will have a negative reaction. The makers will either not sell to this dealer again, or at a lower discount. Thinking being, if you are discounting my knives...obviously I am giving you too much of a discount. Also, it will long term hurt the dealer as clients will figure out that all you have to do is wait 6 months to get a discount. Additionally, you irritate a customer base that has paid full retail, or in some cases a premium. You can bet they will ask for some kind of compensation on their next purchase.

Part of what makes any marketing campaign successful is that there is a perceived demand. Whether real or manufactured. For a custom knife maker to knowingly allow their knives to be sold at a discount because they are "older" goes against this marketing strategy.

There are numerous ways for a maker to dispose of an "older" knife. That at a minimum will get the maker their material costs back.

A better strategy might be to keep the knives at full retail and take a little extra percentage on a consignment fee. Or buy the knife out right for a little higher discount.

In the fast pace world that is the Internet. Perception (whether it is true of false) can become reality for many surfers with just a click of a mouse.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 04-19-2003, 02:50 PM

Good points Les. Like I said I was just kicking around some ideas for content. I think this may also go back to my personal feelings from collecting vs. using.

But then again I see your point and I also see how someone might see it as "devaluing" the knife they paid a premium price for.

Oh well, that's why I posted it here for feedback.

I also know what your talking about when it comes to peoples "perceptions".

Tags
knife, knives