MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

Talking Scored some maple today.

A neighbor across the street from my parents was moving and had a nice little wood shop that he was cleaning out and gave me these two chunks of maple along with a few others. As far as I know they have been sitting in his shop under a bench for at least a couple of years so I would assume that they are plenty dry. I was wondering if these would benefit from stabilizing as maple being a hardwood might not need it. Also i have way to much and might be looking to offload some of them once I get them all cut up if anyone would be interested. Anyways any comment or leads on a good company for stabilizing them would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161 (768x1024).jpg (487.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 162 (600x800).jpg (298.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 163 (600x800).jpg (364.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That seems like pretty nice wood. Yes, maple benefits greatly from professional stabilizing, its one of the best woods to have stabilized. I send mine to K&G Finishing in Lakeside, AZ (google it)

When you cut it up for stabilizing leave the blocks over sized, cut for blocks and not scales. Professional stabilizing uses extremely high pressure and often the blocks will warp slightly so leaving them a little over size allows room to flatten them out later and still be the size you want them to be. If you need scales, cut them from your finished blocks....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Skilled

Wow, that is a nice score! The figure in that maple is very nice! I tried RAY'S suggestion and went with K&G to stabilize some Koa and Redwood Burl I had. They did a great job! You might want to get a portion of what you send dyed while it is there. I particularly like the reddish hues and darker brown. But according to their site it is first dyed (if you choose that) and then must be dried before stabilizing, which would probably turn the dyed wood into a 4-6 week wait. But I bet you would like it. My wood was about 2.5 weeks turn-around. Good luck!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Steel Addict

All in all ended up with roughly 48 lbs of maple all with either great figure or at least a little bit of it. Now the cutting process and sending it to K&G to be stabilized and some of it dyed not sure what color yet though. Really looking forward to seeing the final product and will post pics of the final product thanks Ray and Tony for your guys input.

Tags
bee, choose, cleaning, flat, maple, post, scales, shop, stabilizing, wood, woods