MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Knife Network :: Announcements

Knife Network :: Announcements Latest information about the Knife Network. Site updates, planned maintenance, etc.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Godspeed, John Poythress

This was sent to me via e-mail this morning. (Alex)
----------------------------------------------
From Ken Simmons:
--------

It truly saddens me to inform you that John Poythress died this morning at about 4 AM.

He was doing great at midnight and passed away in his sleep. An autopsy is being performed, but it is pretty sure that he had a blood clot.

We got Joan packed up and she is with her daughters family. They are going back to Swainsboro to tell John?s mother and brother. Their family needs our prayers.

John will be taken to the funeral home in Swainsboro probably Wednesday. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

He was a wonderful friend and craftsman. We miss him?.

--------

For those of you who didn't know John, he was a wonderful man and a superb artist.
We're going to miss you really bad John!!!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
This is truly a loss for not only the GCKG, but for the knifemaking world in general. John didn't get as much press as some other makers, but his work was top-notch. Very clean and perfect. I just hope that one day I can get to the level that he had achieved in the execution of his work.

We'll miss you, John. See you when we get there.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
Good thoughts and prayers sent to his family. I didn?t knew him, but as a fellow knifemaker I always give my best prayers.

-------------------------------------------
Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Jim Small just went to visit him in the hospital yesterday following six hours of surgery for the broken bones suffered in the motorcycle accident... we know he would have a long road to recovery, but this is shocking. My prayers are with the family.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Living Legend

Sorry to hear this. A true craftman and gentleman.

Joan, if you need anything let us know.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Guru

This is very sad to hear. Our condolences and prayers to the family. Dave and Linda Cole
Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator

This was sent to me by Joan (which if you don't know already, is a fantastic woman of her own accord)!

-------------
Thank everyone for the kind words, prayers and love to me and my family. This was not the day any of us wanted but it is the day the Lord gave us and we shall walk thru it with Him. There is no words to describe how I feel but to tell you that John Poythress was my hero. He was very unassuming and walked thru life humbly. He was a craftsman of extraordinary talent. He taught me so much about love, life, and our Lord. He is in heaven with Jesus tonight and we will be together again. Till then I will miss him.

Joan Poythress
-----------

Thank you Joan!
We all love you!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-27-2005, 06:37 AM

Thanks, Alex. Very poignant, indeed. I have thought about John often in the last day. He left a lot of admiring people behind.

My prayers and intentions go to any in need. Looks like it is being dealt with as best as can be.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I'm glad to hear that Joan seems to be holding up well. Leila and I have been really worried about her, since her and John always seemed to be so inseparable. They were truly an admirable couple. You could tell that they had great love for each other. I wish there was something that we could do to ease the pain, but I know that it's just something that Joan's faith and family will have to help her deal with.

We love you, Joan. If you need anything, just call.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 07-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Here's something I received from Joan this morning. This has all the details of where and when the funeral will be held ....

_______
Hi guys,

As many of you know my John passed away early Tuesday morning from injuries he received in a motorcycle accident. This was quite a shock to us and the doctors.

Many of you have called or sent e-mails and expressed condolences and said many kind words that have been very comforting and have been opportunities for me to talk about John which has been so helpful as I grieve. Many of you have also said you would like to attend the funeral services. I apologize that I can't remember exactly who so I am sending this to all of you.

We will have visitation at the Southern Heritage Funeral home this Friday night from 6-8 p.m. The funeral will be Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m. in the chapel of the funeral home. Burial will be immediately afterward at a cemetery close to our home (Eastbrooke Cemetery). Melanie and I picked him out a spot under a big shade tree. After the burial Melanie, Frank, Avery, Emmie and I would be honored for you to come by our home to see John's shop and visit for a while. It will be good to share this day with people that John loved and that loved John.

For directions to Swainsboro:

If you are coming from Atlanta take I-75 south to Macon. In Macon pick up I-16 East. Come to the (I think) 3rd Swainsboro Exit (aprx 90 miles). This will be where US Hwy #1 crosses under the interstate. You will exit North to Swainsboro. As you approach town, you will turn right onto BR #1---this is the by-pass--you will come thru Swainsboro and at the 7th traffic light you will see Southern Heritage Funeral Home on the right. It is a old home with a huge front porch. There is plenty of parking on the side and the rear.

From Savannah: Take I-16 West till you get to the Swainsboro Exit where it crosses US Hwy #1 (aprx 90 miles). You will exit North to Swainsboro. As you approach town, you will turn right onto BR #1---this is the by-pass--you will come thru Swainsboro thru and at the 7th traffic light you will see Southern Heritage Funeral Home on the right. It is a old home with a huge front porch. There is plenty of parking on the side and the rear.

If you are coming from the Eastern Side of North Carolina: Take I-95 south to Florence. In Florence take I-20 West. This will bring you through Columbia SC across the Savannah River into Augusta, GA. In Augusta you will exit east onto the Bobby Jones Expressway (I-520) I think this will be the 3rd (set) exit. You will exit down and back under the overpass. You will stay on Bobby Jones Expressway till you see the Deans Bridge Road Exit. This is US Hwy #1--you will go South on US Hwy #1 (as soon as you exit you will see a Super Wal-Mart on the right). Continue on going south on US Hwy #1 for about 70 miles. This will take you thru Wrens, then Louisville, then Wadley---as you approach Wadley you will see a fork in the road so bear left to stay on #1 so you will skirt Wadley and not go into Wadley proper---not that any of these towns are bigger than 10 minutes across :-)---This will bring you onto Swainsboro. Just before arriving you will see where you have to turn left onto BR #1 so be sure and make that turn. After you enter the city limits at the first traffic light you will see Southern Heritage Funeral Home on the Left. It is a old home with a huge front porch. There is plenty of parking on the side and the rear.

If you are coming from the Charlotte or Winston-Salem area--take I-77 from Charlotte to Columbia SC. In Columbia take I-20 West to Augusta GA. In Augusta you will exit east onto the Bobby Jones Expressway (I-520) I think this will be the 3rd (set) exit. You will exit down and back under the overpass. You will stay on Bobby Jones Expressway till you see the Deans Bridge Road Exit. This is US Hwy #1--you will go South on US Hwy #1 (as soon as you exit you will see a Super Wal-Mart on the right). Continue on going south on US Hwy #1 for about 70 miles. This will take you thru Wrens, then Louisville, then Wadley---as you approach Wadley you will see a fork in the road so bear left to stay on #1 so you will skirt Wadley and not go into Wadley proper---not that any of these towns are bigger than 10 minutes across :-)---This will bring you onto Swainsboro. Just before arriving you will see where you have to turn left onto BR #1 so be sure and make that turn. After you enter the city limits at the first traffic light you will see Southern Heritage Funeral Home on the Left. It is a old home with a huge front porch. There is plenty of parking on the side and the rear.

For those coming from the eastern side of Florida--Take I-95 North to Savannah. In Savannah take I-16 West to the exit of I-16 and US Hwy #1. You will take the North Exit. As you approach town, you will turn right onto BR US #1---this is the by-pass--you will come thru Swainsboro and at the 7th traffic light you will see Southern Heritage Funeral Home on the right. It is a old home with a huge front porch. There is plenty of parking on the side and the rear.

Many have also asked about lodging. There are several hotels in town but only 3 I would consider:

The Bradford Inn--Your typical motel type arrangement. It is only about 5 or 6 years old. It is on Hwy US#1 on the south side of Swainsboro. The number is
478-237-2400.

The Edenfield House Inn--a 9 bedroom B&B--each room has a private bath. It is located on Church Street which intersects US Hwy #1 in Swainsboro just to the north of the center of town. I know the innkeepers very well (my daughter was married in her front foyer). The number is 478-237-3007.

The Coleman House Inn--also a B&B with each room having a private bath. It is only about one block south of the funeral home. the number is 478-237-9100.

Melanie, Frank, Avery, Emmie and I will be looking forward to having ya'll come honor John. John was very much my hero and I only sparkled like a diamond because he was my strong, secure setting.

I love all of you guys,

Joan
______

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

My codolences and prayers go out to his family, for a long while, everytime I pick up a knife or go for a motorcycle ride, I'll think of John.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Master

Alex please pass my condolences along to Joan. This is rather a shcok to me

Paul Vandine

Tags
knife