MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Master

1'' x 42'' needs a job

I have an older 1 x 42 that started my addiction many years ago and it's seemed to have been pushed in the corner collecting dust for about as many years now. I watched a recent video on sharpening and the fella was using 220 grit and finishing with a leather 1x42 belt. I thought I might just give it a try before.......well.....before it collects more dust of course !! anybody else using a 1 x 42 for this or any other suggestions what you may be using one
for ?

Cheers
Rob
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I use my 1x42" quite a bit. My shop is a separate room from my main work bench/assembly area and I have the 1x42" in the assembly area. So, when I need to shorten a pivot, or knock a burr off of something, or bevel a pin or any other tiny task I use the small grinder rather than take the tiny part to the shop and the 2x72". Very convenient, and much easier to use for these small tasks.

BTW, I have a leather belt for my 2x72" ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Skilled

I have used a 1x42 for sharpening for some time. You have to be careful as you can change the shape of the tip easily but it does put on a razor edge.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
I have used a 1x42 for sharpening for some time. You have to be careful as you can change the shape of the tip easily but it does put on a razor edge.
Thanks Dave for your reply , care to share your belt sequence to a obtain that razor edge ?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Master

I was thinking about getting a leather belt for my 1x42 but I find that the edge I get when I use my strop is to fine for what I like. It gives me hair popping results but for every day cutting its not so good. I like a little more bite on my knives. I have the spyderco ceramic bench stones medium, fine and ultra fine. Even with the ultra fine its to fine for me. It's really good for razors and chisels tho.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Skilled

My belts are usually worn 400 grit. I find it has enough to do a fine job of getting that razor edge.

Tags
bee, bevel, blade, collecting, edge, knives, leather, pivot, sharpening, spyderco, strop, tiny, video