MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Camera help please

I have a Nikon coolpix 775 and am discovering a serious need for a tripod to be used almost exclusively for taking knife pictures. I would appreciate any suggestions other than "just hold the camera still" . There is a camera shop about 25 miles from me or I can do the internet thing. I just don't have a clue about what to look for. You guys do such a great job of taking knife pictures so I'm sure you can help me out once again.

Thanks!

Seussbrother :confused:
Old 10-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

TRIPOD....yes, have to have one....a good solid (non-wobbly) tripod can mean a great photograph instead of a blurry blob...

Get an adjustable, aluminum tubing, either square or round. If you really want stable when shooting, use the camera's timer....

Old 10-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Steel Addict

Seuss,

A good tripod is any tripod that will hold you camera still. The can get expensive when you need to hold over 10 pounds "still". My Nikon D-100 and the 500mm lens weigh 12 pounds, so I bought a tripod rated for it.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p19087415?sourceid=3

Another thing to consider is a tabletop tripod if you are going to be shooting mostly knives.... they are light and affordable.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p14933916?sourceid=3

Or.... I have used a beanbag, a pair of vise grips with a 1/4-20 bolt welded on, od a c-clamp with a bolt......

Good Luck,
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Skilled

Since we're talking about cameras, does anyone use a Nikon D-50?

Mitchell I see you have a D-100. I guess that is a souped up D-50/D-70. I would like to know if my Nikkor lens from my FE2 will work on the D-50 body? They are manual focus.

I am consdering the D-50 because it uses a "SD" memory card. My laptop computer has a slot for the "SD" which makes it easy to transfer images to files. And of course there is the price. I have seen the D-50 (body only) going for $500-$750.

Any help or opinion are appreciated!

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Steel Addict

Nikon D-50

Tom,

I don't know about the lens compatibility, but I can attest that it (camera) takes some awesome pictures in the auto-focus/exposure mode. With my other two digital cameras (the Kodak Easy Share DX-4900 (broken) and the Fuji FinePix 3100) almost every shot resulted in needing manipulation (exposure, focus, etc) with Photoshop to get a good picture.

With the NIKON, about the only thing I do with Photoshop is to adjust the picture size!

I need a macro lens for it though, it is hard, even with a tripod, to get a good close-up with either lens I have; 18-55mm or the 55-200mm.

This shot was with the 200mm from 8' away:

All I did was to make a light box from plexiglass and 3 lightbulbs in reflector lamps...the camera did all the rest!!!

Old 10-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Steel Addict

Tom, I can't say for sure on the lenses...... Try the nikon USA web site or tote them down to your local Nikon dealer. dpreview may help as well.

The D100 is just that..... a more robust D50/70. I have had it for several years.... the 70 wasn't even available when I bought it.

Tim, check out Sigma.... they make a great macro 105mm...... it is a sweet piece of glass for the money.

I've been saving my milk money for a new camera..... the Nikon D2x is calling my name.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/

http://www.nikonusa.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/
Old 10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Skilled

Mitchell, what memory media does the D-100 use?

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Steel Addict

Compact Flash Cards.

You can connect the camera using a USB port directly to the computer or buy a CF card reader ($5) and plug that in a USB port.

Tags
knife, knives