MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Steel Addict

Finally got some finished

A while back I had some struggles with a bird and trout knife I'd made-wouldn't hold it's edge. Finally got the kinks worked out and made some more of them along with some hunters. There were some more bumps along the road, but ended up with 5 finished ones.

The bird and trouts started out as 1/16" thick 15n20, so I wanted to carry the slim, light thing through the design with the handle.

I finished 3 of these-Osage, curly Desert Ironwood, and black G10. First time for me using G10 and I like it pretty well. Easy to work and the pattern as you shape it is appealing to me.

Not very good leather, but it holds the knife...

They sliced very well when I tested them. Still shaved hair after cutting several pieces of old stiff leather.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Steel Addict

The hunters are out of 1080 and gave me some headaches along the way. After grinding into the tang pockets, I smashed the handles off on the anvil and got back to slotting more blocks of wood... Here are the two that got finished. One is some figured Maple that I ended up dying. The other is some mystery hard wood a friend gave me a few years ago. He'd had it for several years. It has some nice chatoyance and is really hard stuff. A little reddish in color when working it, but after some wet sanding with oil, it darkened a bit and reminded me (and a friend) of Mesquite.

Maple before any dye:

After some dye:

Finished:

Other one-same blade as the Maple one:

These turned out relatively well, but I still have a ways to go before I'm satisfied with how things come out. If anyone has some suggestions/constructive criticism, please let me know. It's hard to be really objective about your own work sometimes so taking help from others tends to be the mechanism for better results next time. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeremy
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Skilled

WOW Brother Jeremy,

Those super thin Bird & Trout Knives are Sexy . I love them Most Excellent Fit & Finish you have Nailed them PERFECTLY !

Ret, Sgt. Yates

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you, Mr. Yates. I'm glad you like them.

Jeremy

Tags
anvil, back, bird and trout knife, blade, design, easy, edge, first time, g10, grinding, handle, handles, help., ironwood, knife, knives, leather, made, maple, pattern, tang, wood