MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
kydex sheaths

I just started making some military style knives but wanted to do a black finesh on the blades but the kydex sheats seem to scratch off everything ive tried..eny ideas on something that kydex wont scrath off ???

Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Skilled

Ive used duracoat, that worked pretty well. I would like to use cerekoat, but have not yet. Im pretty sure i read on here that Ed Caffery uses clear cerekoat on most of his knives.

A suggestion I would offer is to create a gap, or area around the blade. To avoid too tight a fit that will speed up wearing off the coating. Because kydex is so soft it attracts debris, that sticks inside and scratches the knife or gun. This can be accomplished by wrapping a few extra layers of tape around the blade before you mold it. After its molded and riveted together you can use a heat gun, set on low, to relax the kydex away from the blade. Be sure the fit remains tight around the ricasso and the handle material so the thing won't fall out. Its a tricky sweet spot you're looking for, too loose and the blade rattles and allows debris to embed into the kydex and speed up wear, too tight and it creates friction and speeds up wear.

I usually tape a short length of brass rod or tube to the tip of the knife to create an exit channel for debris. I have seen some makers simply drill a hole laterally through the sheath near the pointed end of the blade to accomplish the same thing.

At the end of the day, I look at it as the knife is a tool, and I expect the coating to wear, I'm looking to minimize that wear. Either that or Ill be looking for a nice display case!

This is just what ive learned over the last few years. =$.02

Let me know what you figure out!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 04-09-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Tags
blade, blades, brass, drill, gun, heat, heat gun, knife, knives, kydex, kydex sheath, makers, making, military, mold, rod, scratch, sheath, sheaths