MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Etching on 1095 steel

A little guidance here. I finished out a knife from 1095 steel. I used my personalizer plus and marked my makers mark onto the steel and it made some black marks on inside my name, almost like it was etched instead of marked. I've never had this issue with ATS 34 or CPM15.
Does carbon steel just mark deeper than stainless?
Any advice for the next one.
Thank you
David
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Steel Addict

If you are talking about black smear marks around your logo, there is a simple way to clean it up. Go ahead and etch your logo . I then go back to my grinder and using a very fine grit belt run the blade over the belt using very light pressure. It will clean up the dark cloud smears and not fade out the makers mark if you etched it deep enough.
If you hand sand your blades, after etching, just use the same last grit you finished the blade with and sand out the dark smears. Best to use some leather backing for the sandpaper while doing this.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Etch on 1095

Thanks.
The black marks are actually inside the letters of my name. Did I hold the mark too long?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Steel Addict

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the personalizer there is AC and DC. The DC being used to etch the logo, and then the AC to darken it for contrast.

I have a homemade rig, DC only. Sometimes an etch will leave oxides inside the logo, which come right off usually with a finger rub. If not, metal polish cleans them right out.

Tags
1095, advice, back, belt, blade, blades, carbon, etch, etching, grinder, hand, homemade, knife, leather, made, makers, metal, polish, sand, simple, stainless, steel