MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

I call it Beast Man

Well I have been working on this knife for a while for a good friend. I made the blade out of a old black diamond file and I must say it came out amazing. Just finished the handle last night.
my question is about putting a hand sharp edge on it. when I made the blade I hade a pic in my mind of my Grandad sharpening his knifes on a leather strap and think I need to do that with this knife. the edge is strate as a lazer. no power tools were used in making this blade.
the handle is large to fit my friends freakishly large hands.
anyone have any info sharpening on a strap>

Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

Generally you use a leather strop to hone the edge and remove the Burr from the knife once the edge is formed. Is it already sharpened to a fine burr?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

Neat design
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Steel Addict

Nice way to recycle! Looks great! As for stropping, you need leather and some stropping compound,
http://www.stropman.com for a strop, but he is kinda high on his compound. You can find stropping compound on just about any sharpening website.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Hey man ! You are really fabulous !
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM

You don't sharpen a knife on a leather strap. A leather strap is used after youre finished sharpening it on a wet stone to remove any burs that may have folded over. The way to use it then is to hold the knife perpendicular to the leather and "sweep" the leather with the edge of the blade. This trues up the edge and gives you a true edge instead of having a false sense of sharpness created by the tearing of the bur.

Hope this helps

Nicholas

Tags
bee, bf3, blade, design, diamond, edge, file, handle, hone, knife, leather, made, making, man, recycle, sharp, sharpening, stone, strap, strop, tools