MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM

How do you finish olivewood

I have a custom dagger that I am making for a customer that has an olivewood handle. What is the best way to finish this wood. The wood has not been stabilized as I was told it would not work properly and would ruin the finish.
Thanks
Steve

Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Skilled

Steve , I have used olivewood in the past , all of which has been stabilized by WSSI without a problem . I've never used it unstabilized so I'm afraid I can't help you further.

Joe
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Steel Addict

I have also used Olive wood that had been stabilized and it comes out beautiful on the final polish on the loose wheel with Jackson 51 white or pink no scratch. If not stabilized, you can use Tru-oil that is used for gun stocks . I use #0000 steel wool between coats to smooth the finish and remove the tru-oil build up on the metal, full tang knives. After the second coat, use very very little tru-oil and rub out until you feel the drag on your finter tips. If you do this right you will have a high shine finish that should have no imperfections. If a satin finish is wanted, rub out with Brownell's triple "F" stock rubbing compound for a deep luster effect. I used this methold on many gun stocks before getting into knives.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Skilled

Olivewood has a natural high oil to it sand it with a high grit 2000 or better till it is like silk then polish it out with white it will shine naturally the oil will protect it by its self .

Sam
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Registered

I have had some olive burl stabilized by K&G.
Worked out fine but only about a 20% weight gain.

We use a lot of olive burl here with furniture that we make.
On the furniture we use an oil blend that is very similar to off the shelf Danish oil.
The oil brightens the colors and adds depth to the figure that you would not get with buffing alone.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hatfield View Post
I have also used Olive wood that had been stabilized and it comes out beautiful on the final polish on the loose wheel with Jackson 51 white or pink no scratch. If not stabilized, you can use Tru-oil that is used for gun stocks . I use #0000 steel wool between coats to smooth the finish and remove the tru-oil build up on the metal, full tang knives. After the second coat, use very very little tru-oil and rub out until you feel the drag on your finter tips. If you do this right you will have a high shine finish that should have no imperfections. If a satin finish is wanted, rub out with Brownell's triple "F" stock rubbing compound for a deep luster effect. I used this methold on many gun stocks before getting into knives.
I agree and it's cheap under five bucks at most sporting goods stores. The key is is steel wool #0000 between coat making sure it is completly dry. Leaves a good long lasting finish. Super hard.

Tags
bee, build, custom, full tang, handle, knives, make, polish, sand, satin finish, scratch, steel, tang, tips, wood