MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM

mesquite for scales?

New guy here and plan to build a few knives in a couple of months. Been searching the web trying to learn all I can. Going to start out simple and just add scales to blades. Cheap blade first and see how it goes. Most of my knives will be fixed blade skinners that will only be used a couple of times a year. I know where I can get some really old mesquite that is laying in a pasture. Probably been there for years. I brought a few pieces home for the wife to use for yard art. They feel sold and are pretty heavy for their size. Just wondering how it would look and if I would have to stabilize it? Any idea how it would polish or would I need to add some kind of stain? I am a trim carpenter. I have a table saw and think I can figure out how to cut it to size. Got a cheap drill press and belt sander on the way. Probably won't need the belt sander very much from what I have been reading. Still need to get a few more things before I get started. Where is a good place to get sandpaper? Can you use sheets or do rolls work better?

Randy
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Hall of Famer

I guess you could stabilize mesquite but it's pretty stable as is. You would have to contact a stabilzer to see if it's usable with the process. I can't say that I've seen any for sale stabilized but that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't.

Doug

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Skilled

Mesquite takes stabilizing very well.But it is not necessary,Makes beautiful handles.I use it alot.
Stan

Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Hall of Famer

No need to stabilize it. When it's finished just buff in paste wax for a beautiful handle.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Thanks guys. I will get some next time I am out there. That's one thing I won't have to buy right now.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Hi Okie

Did you guys saw it when you made the yard art? If so, did the exposed parts turn darker with weathering?

Welcome to the forum!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the input guys. A friend has talked to me about making a folder for him and it rmust have mesquite scales. We don't mesquite in MN but I found a company called Woodworkers Source that will sell a sample .50 x 3.00 6.00" for $7.00, no shipping charges. Dan
Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome. We didn't saw it. She likes it to look natural. She wants more, so we may have to share. There is a lot of it out there and it is the place I killed my buck this year. Seems fitting to use wood from there for a good hunting knife. I will try to post some pictures when I get some I can cut up. Probably be a couple of weeks. You guys can tell me what you think.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 PM

I got some mesquite last weekend and got it cut down yesterday. Don't have enough posts to add a picture but it is a real nice dark brown color. Only bad thing is a lot of it wasn't any good, had a lot of holes and bad spots. Maybe it had been there to long. I think I have enough for a couple of knives. If I wanted to cut some down, how long would I need to wait to use it for handles.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Hall of Famer

How long you are going to have to set the wood aside before using it for handles is going to depend on how dry it is. Check the wood working supply houses for moisture meters. If the wood has less than %10 moisture I would go ahead and use it. If it has been setting out long enough it could be ready to use now but without a meter it would be hard to tell.

Doug

Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM

The wood I have now has been sitting out for several years. I was just thinking about cutting some for future use.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

If all else, find somebody that has a fireplace or that has a pit. (Think smoked meat not a hole.) They will more than likely have aged wood, Mesquite, Hickory, atc.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejaco View Post
I got some mesquite last weekend and got it cut down yesterday. Don't have enough posts to add a picture but it is a real nice dark brown color. Only bad thing is a lot of it wasn't any good, had a lot of holes and bad spots. Maybe it had been there to long. I think I have enough for a couple of knives. If I wanted to cut some down, how long would I need to wait to use it for handles.
Mesquite that has been cut for several years is ready to use as is.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks Don, I figured this stuff was good to go. Will check into a moisture meter if I want to cut some to use.

This stuff is real nice but has a lot of worm holes or something. I might have enough for 2 sets of scales and started with 4 pretty decent pieces.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Trying this to see if the picture is okay. What do you guys think of this wood for scales?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scales.jpg (109.0 KB, 131 views)

Tags
52100, art, bearing, fixed blade, folder, for sale, hunting, hunting knife, ironwood, knife, knives, post, press, scales, steel, supply