MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 11-22-2001, 10:54 PM
RSkidmore

I've not used a lot of exotic woods (altho they are beautiful!) but I'm fond of using local stuff that I can gather myself.
The best looking stuff I've found around here (western VA) is mountain laurel root burl. Very dense and doesnt crack much while drying. At least that is my experience.
Here's a pic to show what I mean.

photos.yahoo.com/bc/rescu...%26.view=t

Randy
Old 11-23-2001, 03:52 PM
MJHKNIVES

Randy,thats some good looking wood. :cool:
Old 11-28-2001, 06:28 PM
ArchAngel

Black Palm

Thanks for the info guys. I checked the sites you suggested and the didn't have it listed, so I will need to wait for a reply from them about getting it for me. Doug, that does sound like the wood I've been looking for. Do you know a supplier and what I could expect to pay for some?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-28-2001, 06:31 PM
ArchAngel

Black Palm

Thanks for the info guys. I checked the sites you suggested and the didn't have it listed, so I will need to wait for a reply from them about getting it for me. Doug, that does sound like the wood I've been looking for. Do you know a supplier and what I could expect to pay for some?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-29-2001, 07:34 AM
doug timbs

Re: Black Palm

Michael
Let me know approx what size peice you need and I'll see what I can find.
Doug
Old 01-05-2002, 08:54 AM
Skiffster

Coccabolo Wood

Im another "newby" . My question is on coccabolo my friend that got me started in the art of knife making told me to be careful of some woods if you inhale the dust it will cause all kinds of health problems especially coccabolo? Is this true and what others should I be concerned with............Thanks Skiffster
Old 01-05-2002, 09:11 AM
Don Cowles

Re: Coccabolo Wood

Cocobolo is the worst offender. It is a member of the rosewood family. If you are sensitive to it, you may also be sensitive to other rosewoods.

Best bet is to wear a respirator when working it, and have a good dust collection system. Keeping your skin covered is also a good idea.

If it turns out you are indeed allergic to you, you will probably just have to forego using it. It's very much like breathing or bathing in poison ivy for those who are.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:51 PM
combs6136

Most beautiful wood for handles

My favorite is osage orange or as we call it hedge apple ...I get lots of requests for it.....carl
Old 01-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Cactusforge

Re: Most beautiful wood for handles

I go for Ironwood where I live I can get it free and it is about as indistructable as any wood it goes well with Brass and when you combine it with Tourquoise it realy shines. My second
choice is Califorina Buckey. Gib
Old 01-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Don Halter

Re: Most beautiful wood for handles

Bocote
Buckeye burl
Mesquite

Down here, we have large mesquite that have a knurled grain similar to the burled woods. It's dense like osage and polishes great. All sorts of shades of rust and chocolate browns.

I have a large supply of cocobolo, but hate using it. I'm obviously allergic to it. Even the residual dust causes my eyes to tear and swell and my skin to break out similar to poison ivy, but not as itchy! Too bad, because I really like the looks of it!

Don Halter
Old 01-14-2002, 12:34 PM
pupandcat

Had it stabelized?

Where do you get wood stabelized? Or can you do it yourself?
Thanks
PUP
Old 01-14-2002, 01:46 PM
MJHKNIVES

Re: Had it stabelized?

Here is one place, they do an excellent job, 10# and over is $8.00lb.www.stabilizedwood.com/ ,good luck to you.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Black Palm

Believe it or not, Ebay has a good supply of stabalized black palm. They also have an interesting red palm.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

tisswood burl for small areas is my favorite
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Buckeye Burl
Amboyna Burl
Afzelia

those are my favorites so far.

Tags
blade, handle, iron, knife, knife making, knives, palm, scales, supply, wood, woods