MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 09-06-2001, 05:50 AM
BJHALL

beautiful woods

My favorite is an Australian hardwood called ringed Gidgee. It is a very dark wood with an almost 3D like appearence
BJHALL
bjhall@vic.australis.com.au
Old 09-06-2001, 06:55 AM
Dana Acker

Re: beautiful woods

Rob Hudson. Whew! Everything he does is a treasure. And he's a nice guy too. When I was first starting out, I called him, out of the blue, and asked a bunch of newbie questions. He was as friendly, gracious, and open as he is artistic--heck of a decent guy. I couldn't tell if the handles were the same as the wood Don and I are talking about or not. But it doesn't look to be too far off.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:01 AM
JossDelage

Re: beautiful woods

Yeah, Rob Hudson's work is amazing. I recently fell in love with the Bowie featured in Ed Fowler's Knife Talk book. I love how the guard lines meet the handle's perfectly. The "flame edge" is really nice too...

For those interested, there's a long article on him on-line here:
http://www.swordforum.com/summer99/robhudson.html

JD
Old 09-07-2001, 11:22 PM
cajun bones

Woods...oh, the woods...

This is coming from a newbie, so take it for what it's worth. But, from an artistic point of view, the right Desert Ironwood is hard to beat. You find the right grain/pattern, and it makes the knife. California buckeye burl is a personal favorite as well. Others (in no particular order) fishtail oak, curly maple, ebony (sometimes simple is good), madrone burl, spaulted maple. The list can go on and on.

Chris

"If you're gonna go, geaux big."
Old 09-10-2001, 12:04 AM
bbat

Re: Woods...oh, the woods...

I personally like :

Dessert Iron wood
Coccobolo
Snakewood

Andrew
Old 09-11-2001, 06:26 AM
Terry Hearn

Ringed Gidgee and Desert Ironwood
Old 09-20-2001, 11:14 AM
Martin Brandt Knives

Re: Walnut in particular Don Cowles post from 9/5 you said you had had some curly walnut stabilized and it came out beautiful. My question is: who do you have stabilize your wood? And did your walnut change from that wonderful warm brown/redishbrown to a more grayish brown? Most stab. walnut I have seen has been a sort of a grayish brown that really turned me off, since my head is used to that warm brown of unstab. walnut. I dug out a huge 6+ ft. walnut stump last Feb. that has lots of super curly, and spalted with lighter streaks, and redish streaks, wood. However the wood is all a little on the soft side for handles. But I hate the grayish stab. walnut I've seen, and am looking for a solution to avoid that. Last question: I recently dug out a burled walnut stump, and even with green wood sealer[wax emulsion from woodcraft supply] coating it the centers of the burleyes are shrinking so badly that they are becoming open holes in the wood. Anyone with any experience with that and or solutions to salvage the burl for knife handles other than filling the holes up with epoxy and walnut dust?
Old 09-20-2001, 11:56 AM
Don Cowles

I would start by slabbing and stickering that walnut burl, and let it air dry for a couple of years. Some of it will check, but some of it will not.

Second, I'd send a pound or 2 to Mike Ludemann at WSSI in Iowa, and see if you're pleased with the results. www.stabilizedwood.com.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:21 AM
KandSKNIVES

Here are a few I like Tasmanian Fiddleback Oak, Gidgae, Ringed Gidgae, Western Fiddleback Myall, and Buckeye Burl.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 11-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Tiaan Burger

African Woods

I know how some of the woods you are talking about looks. Here's my list:

African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxolon) The most beautifull crotch figure. Gold and black
Kiaat (Pterocarpus Angolensis) (The crotch and fiddle back)

Mopane root
Red Bushwillow root (Combretum )
Knobthorn
African Leadwood (Combretum Imberbe)
Tamboti (aka Zulu Perfume) This has the most amazing smell. Pink Ivory. A pain in the neck to work, beautifull.
Wild olive (Olea europea spp Africana)
---------
Tiaan
Old 11-21-2001, 02:06 AM
ArchAngel

I've seen one black and white picture of a knife with the handle done up with slabs of Black Palm. I've never been able to find any, or anyone who knows anything about it. Anyone have any suggestions or info you could share with me?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-21-2001, 02:19 PM
MJHKNIVES

You might try,www.lumberlady.com/index.htm
Old 11-21-2001, 02:21 PM
MJHKNIVES

Or this place,www.stabilizedwood.com/
Old 11-21-2001, 02:22 PM
MJHKNIVES

Or lastly,www.knifeandgun.com/
Old 11-22-2001, 08:18 AM
doug timbs

Michael
The only Black Palm I know of comes from Australia.It is usually a quite small tree only having a small ring of usable wood on the outer of the trunk(the centre of the trunk is fibrous).
If cut lengthwise the figure is usually straight black lines on a brownish background.However it is normally cut across the grain and shows small black spots that can look a bit like lizard skin.A very unusual wood,and quite rare.
If you need any more info please let me know.
Doug

Tags
blade, handle, iron, knife, knife making, knives, palm, scales, supply, wood, woods