MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

View Poll Results: What do you think of reconstituted/composite/altered natural materials?
All for these 11 7.86%
Depends on the project 94 67.14%
Like some, dilike others, pls explain 21 15.00%
If your not going to natural why bother 13 9.29%
Other, pls explain 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Living Legend

Reconstitutited/Composite Materials

Hi guys,

I had asked this in another question on MOP but it kind of got lost. What is the general option of composite materials? I know that while hard and durable Dymondwood isn't looked on favorably. Micarta is used a lot on hunters. So what is the general option of things like reconstituted gem stone from various supply houses or mosaic abalone from MOP Co or even the dyed woods that WSSI makes, basically all natural materials that have been altered by man?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Last edited by Drac; 05-21-2003 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:02 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I've gotta say that it depends on the mission of the blade. I wouldn't put micarta on a presentation blade, and I wouldn't use mammoth ivory on an everyday user. Dymondwood has a bad name because of the gaudy colors and its use in cheap foreign knives (*cough*Frost*cough*), but it is a great choice for a knife that will come in contact with chemicals or be used in a kitchen.

My feeling about the recon stuff is to use it with discretion. Be tasteful. It shouldn't (in most cases) be the sole material. I use it for contrast in the handle. You also have to keep in mind that the stuff is somewhat brittle, and design it into your handle accordingly. (Don't use it as the bolsters or pommel, for example.)

I've never really had a problem with the stuff, and I think most of it looks really sharp when the maker takes the time to consider the contrasting materials (spacers, main handle material, bolsters/guard, etc.).

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 05-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Hall of Famer

what jamey said.
another thing to consider is the increasing rarity of some of the natural materials. if we don't find/use acceptable substitutes, we'll all end up with dyed pressboard handles.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Guru

I use a lot of re-con stone it is fine for a segmented handle or spacers with other material. But for scales used by it's self it is brittle. I like stabilized wood for it's ease of finishing. I absolutely will not use Diamondwood or packawood on any knife no matter what it is used for no matter what. Marcarta is a great material where ever it is used. Gib

Old 05-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Joel
Use a lot of Micarta and stabilized wood. Like to use recon stone as spacers. Hate Dymondwood; not so much for the colors(there are some decent combinations), but because it looks, feels and works cheap. As in tawdry.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:36 AM
Living Legend

Artistic application.

I challenge anyone saying that Micarta doesn't belong on a presentation piece. There's a guy Down Under called Peter Del Raso who can certainly make canvas Micarta look the goods on a presentation-grade utility piece. Its got to do with clean-ness of fit and a very fine finish. However, I'm struggling to find pics of these knives to show you what I mean.

My point is that used judiciously, the materials are only a means to an end if the concept is right. Problem is, taste varies so much. Its all personal preference.

Eg.- I absolutely HATE with a vengeance - those multicoloured Dymondwood etc. but the muted single colour versions are actually quite nice to work and finish on a working grade knife. I frankly don't care much for reconstituted stone products. I've seen too much recon turquoise or recon lapis lazuli as spacers. However, I recently saw a set of Lloyd Pendleton knives with such materials for handles and well, are those awesome lookin' pieces - my point exactly about some makers do get it right ...

Just a few ideas. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 06-24-2003, 04:09 AM
Master

I think that, used *tastefully* recon stone can be very nice, it's easier to work with than the natural & inherently (a real word?) more stable. I agree with Jason that over use of turquoise can be a bit much.

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for all your replys,

I have used dymondwood when I started on kitchen kit knives. It can take quite a beating. I will also be using the black and purple for a set of forks and spoons from Jantz. I don't have to worry about good taste as the dinnerware matches the plates and they look like a college art project . My wife and I still like them though.

I can understand many of the points made. Each type of material has its place if good taste is used. Going through the various websites that sell knives I have see a trend to stick as much on a knife as possible. I've seen some beautiful engraving on some knives that the work on the blade didn't match. One knife that were so busy with engraving, mosiac pins, spacers, and file work, that the natraul beauty of the knife was messed up.

Thanks again,
Jim

Old 06-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Guru

I made a small dagger for a lady once and used purple heart for the handle with a wide recon turquoise spacer. It was one the ugliest things I ever made...but it's what she wanted. Sometimes I let a customer's request override my gag reflexes. I had bought some "loud" pakkawood scales once and have had them sitting around forever. I made fillet knives for most of my relatives this past Christmas and used most of it up .

Old 09-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Everbody hates dymond wood and loves micarta??
Recon turq is good for small things like spacers and in smaller grains can be used for inlay.
The trouble with it is you have lost tne natural pattern or veining.
Make a good contrasting color though.
Take Care
TJ

Old 09-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
i dont hate dymond wood i like to use it and in the market im hiting some times the color of the handle makes the sale more than any thing else the last show i did a lady saw a fusha colored dymond wood handle on a knife that i made and had some how matched in color on the sheath as well and she just had to have it.
she stated that she wouldnt ever use it but it was to prity to not get and this from a lady who stated she didnt like knives.
at this point ill take any sale i can get and some times its the colors that do it ( i sell a lot to the costumed crowd sca and such if its in there colors thay just have to have it) not that i dont like micarta and such i like them all real wood to and you got to love a good pice of antler

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995

Last edited by Dragon cutlery; 09-22-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Steel Addict

Personally I like dymondwood, I use it regularly for theme knives and Gothic?s. and its often requested by local hunters, almost as much as micarta. Its fine for these knives, however for my personal knives and the high end stuff I use only natural materials.

Bulldog
Old 10-29-2003, 08:46 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

I have used many man made handle materials.
I like most, but I won't use the plastic or polyester synthetics anymore.These are the fake pearls and such that have NO reinforcement inside.They break too easily.
Macarta has layers(either cloth or paper).
Diamond wood has grain too.
The "powder in plastic" stuff just don't cut it in my book.
Choose a synthitic that has some fiber in it of some kind for durability.
The pure plastic handles are a head ache waiting to happen.
my.02 cents
Old 12-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

altered materials

Everything has its use. I am only now beginning to work on knives, but have worked with bone, gemstones, wood extensively. And posted a response on Turquoise for knife inlay.

I cut gemstones....and for anything like a knife handle that will get wear and tear, I would only recommend either hard, but not brittle materials like jade, thicker agates and jaspers. Or treatest materials, like stabilized turquoise, because untreated it is naturally chalk like or soft and can crumble in time.

For a working knife handle, if I use wood, I would want stabilized wood or a wood like teak that is so naturally oily, that moisture and heat will not adversely affect it.

Tonyx

Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Paul3
Geno,Plastics? I agree, but some polymers are as strong and durable as steel and a few moreso. Just my opinon.
Just gotta get the right stuff for the right job and looks.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, tang