MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Registered

Question Coloured Logo?

I was wondering how big brands put coloured logos on their knife? If there's an easy way that's durable, easy and cheap, i'd love you to take the time to tell me how to do it!!! The only way I can think of is similar to techniques of clock makers, where they etch the logo and fill the hole with a dyed wax.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
an easy way that's durable, easy and cheap
Unfortunately, none of the above apply. If you can post a pic of the type of logo you're talking about, I could likely give better information, but with just "durable", "easy", and "cheap" to go on, I can only make educated guesses. Generally a type of laser is used, so there goes "cheap" and "easy" out the door. "Durability" is directly related to the exactly how it's being done.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM
Guru

"DURABLE, EASY AND CHEAP" Not words found often in knife making Some times you can accomplish 1 or 2 but never all three togather. At least I haven't found it yet
Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Guru

Now guys be nice.

Colored logos that are cheap are lasered and dyed, but aren't very durable, but can be had fairly cheap if all you want is initials. You can get real good with a high speed dremel with a diamond point and paint the engraved area with some enamel paint that bakes on at 300 degrees for one hour, so it must be done before final temper or after a cryo treatment. That is fine if you make your own knives, if somebody else's you would have to do the liquid nitrogen quench and 300 degree temper after for 1/2 hour so cheap kind of goes out the door unless you know somebody like Dtec Dave who might do it for you for a nominal fee and shipping so about $15 in shipping and Dave's fee. Dave's a decent guy and probably wouldn't charge too much since he has the liquid nitrogen anyway. I said probably wouldnt.

Problem is, I don't know how the paint would hold up to the LN, would think it would be ok. Hobby Lobby sells some enamel paints that must be cured for 3-4 days and then baked. So maybe those guys aren't being as hard on you as I thought.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Guru

OK I checked.

If you can engrave with a dremel halfway decent and dig down into the surface of the knife, there are model paints that you can paint if you are a good artist it would look good and must be below the surface. Had a guy show me some metal he painted on over his dremel engraving on 304 polished stainless. It would be cheap and somewhat durable, but to be easy you would have to be something of an artist. This guy was. His actual engraving into the metal wasn't all that pretty, but his painting was looking like real trees and a deer all in 2 square inches. The dremel gives a good rough base for the paint to hold onto, but on a using knife it would have to be back on the ricasso where it wouldn't get scratched up.

There it is again, the durable would have to be in an area that wouldn't see much of any wear. The enamel paint would also serve if there is going to be another temper cycle as I stated above and if below the surface of the rest of the knife it would hold up fairly well. So dig down about .010 to .020 into the metal and paint it there and keep it in small dots and lines. The model car paints are really vibrant and hold up well. You do need an artistic flair. It would kind of be like scrimshaw, but for metal and would most definitely be more durable. Just a thought. Damon would probably know something about this. It would be something like some gold inlay I saw of his, but not as expensive.

Damon is a knife maker and engraver/jeweler and posts here frequently. A sample of his work can be seen at the following link. Obviously his work isn't inexpensive, but worth the freight.

https://www.flickr.com/people/oiseaumetalarts/
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Guru

Jim your righ of corse I wouldn't mind doing for a lil fee but I would not be responsible for any paint if done before hand I don't know how it would react
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Guru

Would have to just do a test and see, but I don't think it would make it come off. But that's only a guess.

Tags
apply, cheap, cryo, degrees, diamond, easy, engraved, etch, etching, hobby, how to, knife, knife making, knives, logo, make, make your own, makers, making, paint, post, scrimshaw, temper, wax