MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Handle material choices

I am making a knife for a friend who works at a small meat processing plant. Since he wants to be able to use it at work I had him check to see what kind of materials would be OK. They told him no wood handles so I'm trying to find something that will work. It is a hidden tang so I need a pretty thick piece of whatever I use, so far all I've found in composite handle material is only up to 3\8" thick and I'm thinking I need more like 1". Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it would be appreciated.
Thanks Sam
Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Skilled

G-10, that's a good choice.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

OK but I'm only finding it up to 3\8 in thick I need at least 3\4. I guess I could glue it together with epoxy but I would probably end up with a glue line, but I guess I could add a contrasting color in between..............
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Skilled

G-10
micarta
acrylics
or a number of synthetics.

id lean toward the G-10 or micarta. most knife suppliers carry those in both labs and blocks
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Guru

Something I noticed about some of the acrylics was a certain amount of brittleness. I dropped one and part of the handle just cracked and would have come off if it hadn't been glued.

Like Damon said G10 or micarta. Stabilized wood is food safe too.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

If the boss said no wood, this could very well be an FDA regulation, then I would steer away from stabilized wood. I would also vote for G10 or Micarta.

Doug

Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah I think its a FDA or USDA regulation to not use wood of any kind. OK looks like g10 is what I'll use if I can find a thick enough piece. Thanks for the help. Sam
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Guru

Probably right on the stabilized wood, but I do believe Dymondwood was allowed for USDA plants. I just remember going to a turkey plant and some of the women had some brightly colored handles that looked like it, in the 90s, but could have just been that company as I have been to many slaughter houses and never saw anything except factory issue plastic nylon. Heck Micarta made from any paper or linen is essentially the same as Dymondwood except was made from phenolic resin and they are both slippery when bloody, something I just remembered. Most companies just provide nylon type handled blades nowadays.

Sheffield has G10 1 1/8" thick blocks by 1 1/2" by 5" but only in black or orange, page 33 of their catalog.
http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/SUPPLYCAT.pdf
USA Knifemakers has the black.

Cat I have made many hidden tangs out of two pieces with a spacer in-between. They are a little extra work, but they can look nice. G10 glues very well too and use stainless pins if any.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Considered horn or antler?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
antler, bee, block, epoxy, fixed blade, g10, glue, handle, handle material, handles, help., hidden, hidden tang, knife, making, material, materials, micarta, pins, plastic, resin, small, tang, what kind, wood