MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 PM

sambar stag, working with

Woluld like to use Sambar Stag scales on my next knife, but have no experience with the material, have done a couple of Pukko knives with elk antler as spacers, but never as scales.

Any suggestions on using the Samber scales, and suggestions to finishing the stag.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Guru

Unhappy I can't believe nobody's answered this.

I used to live in OKC they had a knife shop that sold sambar antler. I used it several times. It is very consistent , easy to work and quite nice. I prefer it over american deer antlers as it isn't porous. Just remember to not push hard when drilling it so as to not blow out the backside of the hole. I always just start my hole with the matching size to the blade, but stop before going through. I then take a smaller drill bit and finish the hole. Then you can finish by drilling from the outside of the scale using the pilot hole. It buffs out with just a cotton buff as it is a bit on the soft side. It really shines. If you sand off all the brown stag markings to a smooth surface it looks like ivory.

I would be careful about breathing the dust if you grind it as with most anything, but especially animal products.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Skilled

Make sure you are in a ventilated area and hopefully some type of dust catcher.
This stuff REALLY sticks when you start sanding and goes everywhere.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Steel Addict

Tape backside where drill bit comes through to stop blow out. Make sure you sand back side down as far as you can prior to mounting on blade. Too many people don't and then have to sand the texture off. Coat outside of scales with thin super glue to have a good finish or use lemon oil prior to finishing on the surface. Oil really makes it glow.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Guru

Thank you for the super glue tip. I always used thinned out epoxy and it takes a long time. I just tried the super glue in an experiment and it's pretty good. Does it work well with Ironwood? My son's mother in law put the filet knife I made him in the dishwasher and it has all the pins sticking out and trashed the buff I had on it. The epoxy didn't soak in and I'm wondering if the super glue would.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

Ironwood is so dense it doesn't assorb any. To me it just sits on the surface.

Tags
antler, art, blade, drill, easy, fishing knife, grind, ironwood, ivory, knife, knives, make, material, pins, products, sand, sanding, scale, scales, shop, spacers, stag, surface, wood