MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 PM

I need a little help with the color on my blades

I hope I have this in the right place. I have been building knives for a few years as a hobby. I started out making saw blade knives and then started using truck springs , hammered flat in my forge. I do stock removal to make my knives. Well I have seen some cool knives with black blades, and I don't know what the process is called. I think they do some kind of acid bath, and the blade turns black. I don't know if they do this before tempering or after? How strong of a finish is this? And what is it called??? Thank you
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
im having the same problem..I started doing some military style knives with kydex sheaths but every finesh I use scrathes off from the kydex..

Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Steel Addict

Doing it on the cheap I use vinegar.

To take it a step further I have of late been doing the vinegar soak (a couple of hours usually) and I got a rust inhibitor from the auto paint and body supply, you put it on and let it set, ^^^,. I use 1200-1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper to get the finish looking like a gun bluing job, and so far has been really tough and holds up well.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpc201 View Post
Doing it on the cheap I use vinegar.

To take it a step further I have of late been doing the vinegar soak (a couple of hours usually) and I got a rust inhibitor from the auto paint and body supply, you put it on and let it set, ^^^,. I use 1200-1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper to get the finish looking like a gun bluing job, and so far has been really tough and holds up well.
So, you finish your vinegar soak then apply the rust inhibitor and then sand? Do you sand dry or wet? Can you post some pictures of the process? Sounds very interesting to me.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Steel Addict

I will try to get some pictures to post, my camera fritzed, but I do have a phone such as it is...

Tags
acid, auto, bee, blade, blades, building, flat, forge, gun, hobby, knife, knives, kydex, make, making, military, paint, post, problem, saw blade, sheaths, stock removal, supply