MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Living Legend

Terry Primos tutorial

Hello all,

I am working a large stick tang bowie with a mortise handle and since the blade is stainless I can't solder the NS guard. I remembered that Terry had a J-B Weld tutorial but since his site is long gone I am hoping someone may have saved it for prosperity?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Skilled

I miss Terry's tutorials...

Using J-B weld is fairly straight forward. It is primarily used to seal the joint, the guard needs to be a tight press fit (no visible gaps) and held in place by the handle material or a bolster. A little bit is mixed, the surfaces are coated, then the guard is tapped into place. Excess J-B weld is removed with acetone or alcohol before it sets, or a wooden or copper scraper/burnisher can be used after is has begun to solidify but before it fully hardens. Again, it's primary purpose is to form a seal to keep moisture out, but if the mating surfaces are roughed it will help hold the guard in place to some extent... you do not want to try to fill a visible gap with it, it will be obvious as a gray line, what you want is a microscopic almost invisible gray line that comes from a good tight fit. That is about all there is to it to the best of my knowledge.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Guru

Drac,
I looked for the tutorial, but couldn't find it. I may have printed it, so I will keep looking and will scan it if I can find it. One of the things I learned from it was to leave the joint just as it is after the press fit, (no cleanup). Take some of the excess JB Weld and form a "test blob". When the test blob gets rubbery, clean your joint with a wooden popsicle stick pre-ground for the purpose. I sand them to knife edge arrowhead shapes, and always have 3-4 ready. I think it was Terry's tutorial that taught me WD-40 is the greatest thing for cleaning JB Weld. I just wet the sticks with the WD-40 and clean the joint. Of course you don't want to get sidetracked and miss the "rubbery state" window. If you get ansy and clean it a little early, don't over soak it with the WD-40 or it might degrade the joint.
Hope that helps.

KempKnives.com
Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Skilled

Hope this helps http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62443

Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Living Legend

Thanks guys. I'm still a little ways from putting it all together but I wanted to make sure I had the info before I needed it

Have the blade and the guard done, working on the spacer, handle and butt cap.

Jim

Tags
blade, bowie, cleaning, edge, guard, handle, handle material, knife, make, material, press, prosperity, sand, solder, spacer, stainless, stick tang, tang, tutorial, weld