MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 04-25-2006, 01:44 AM

More size and complexity challenges

Received this amazing piece of work by Mark Williams and his wife Deborah. There's a ton of stuff going on which I intentionally avoided as I begin to get a grip on how to photograph this blade and scabbard. This is just a first run at it.

The idea appeared as Mark was drifting off to sleep one night. I don't think he got much sleep after that until the project was completed! The blade was forged from W-2 roundbar steel and features a sweet taper to the tip (also gives off a nice tone when you tap the blade). Handle is Giraffe bone addorned with decreasing sized sterling silver handmade tacks on top and forward of the pommel. The spacer is coin silver and the pommel is made using a silver spoon from the 1,800s with sterling added to complete it. OAL 20" - blade 15 1/2"

The wood scabbard is covered with canvas and features goose feather quills on one side and a dream-like scene of various native spirits painted by Mark's wife, Deborah, on the other side. The tip and throat are sterling silver, as well as the lanyard hardware. The snake and the side pieces are nickel/copper alloy. Everything is tight, solid and true. It's quite the substantial piece of work by Mark and his title for the piece is "Ceremony."

As I continue to explore all the facets of Mark's creation I hope to be better able to portray it in photographs. As I mentioned, this is my initial effort so I'm not placing it in the Display or other forums. I prefer sharing it with my fellow photographers here and I'm definitely open to observations, ideas or suggestions. (Chuck B. - I'm working on getting some suede for backgrounds - thanks for the tip on resources.)

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 05-01-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Registered

You're asking for more than i can give but I can say that is a great looking set the Williams have put together. Mark doesn't show as much of his stuff and it's nice to see what's he is up to. As for the picture, the DOF looks sharp all the way except for the very back of the handle and that isn't too bad. i had to look hard to see that. I think you got a good shot right off.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Hall of Famer

That is one neat knife, thanks for the great photo.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 PM

That's a great knife and a great shot! I do see Tracy's point though. We see a whole lot of a huge blade and very little of a small handle. Perhaps an inlay shot from behind the handle would do it.

But hey, I'm a stone-cold novice brother!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 AM

Wow. What a stunning piece and filled with handcrafted details. Congrats to Mark and Deborah fr the collaboration. I find myself also attracted to the lanyard. Rolled up suede??

Your shot is very clear and well balanced. In this pose. There are other poses that may show it differently. The handle proportions would lend itself to a shot with the handle closer than farther. That's not a rule (see my Goo forged socket shot), but it would aid.

This is foremost such a great piece that any good clear image is going to bowl me over!

Congrats on such great work by all!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 AM

Great tips and suggestions all! Much appreciated. I tried to work up an image that takes some of the suggestions into account. Here it is:

Still experimenting........

Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 AM

Buddy, What is the face in the background? Nice work but a bit distracting to the image.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 AM

That's actually Mark Williams' face. I saved an alternate image, everything the same but without the ghost face because I too thought it somewhat distracting. Might've been a better idea to coil the lanyard back in that spot or something. Thanks for your observation Terrill.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Mark is too homely for that knife unless you are going to start 'something' by ghosting in a makers mug. The lanyard is too cool and unique to not show it. The scabbard is a huge problem because it's cool on both sides. I immediately thought of a mirror reflection to show the back but those barely work. I'd probably go with the strongest side and that is the painted one. The knife shot is flawless. It could be different but no better - IMHO.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 AM

Still futzing around with this. Don't know if I'm doing any better but I'm trying to keep in mind some of the comments you guys have made. Should have some new background options by this weekend, which should help me a lot.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:45 AM

I prefer the darker background but with the second layout. Maybe with the lanyard as in the first shot. That's the trouble with doing photographs. There are times when you just don't know when to quit. Sounds like an addiction!

Old 05-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I posted what I finally came up with in the display forum. Terrill, your idea sounds right on and is what I'll do next time around. For now I had to follow my muse.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM

What is that lanyard made of?

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
bttt

Tags
blade, knife