MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
All in a day of a KnifeMaker.

The other morning I was having a good day in the shop Hand grinding. Then I picked up a piece of new super steel that I had just got CTS-XCP that cost me $75 plus shipping. And probably get three knives out of it. I went to the band saw and started to cut the blade out, And I was zipping right through it and all of a suddenly the band saw quit cutting, so I put a new band saw blade and proceeded to cut out the knife and as I was finishing I though that the band saw started to get dull but I made it through. Then I started to profiling the blade with a new 36 grit ceramic belt. And it didn't seem to be cutting like it should . So I put a new one on and proceeded to hollow grind the blade. I was about done with it and I noticed a line at the top of the knife blade so I went back and with a new 220 grit belt , and tried to get that line out and back to a 400 grit belt, and the line was still there. It looked like it had another piece of metal welded to it and it was very hard, and it really shows up. So here I am with a knife that I was going to probably get $550 for it. And I have now got $40 in steel, two band saw blades at $54, 6 new belts at about $5 each and 3/4 of a day missing around with that blade, and what do I have ?? a piece of junk. It will probably Heat treat ok but I'll not be able to get much out of that knife. And then you have buyers always trying to get you to make them a knife for nothing. Here is pictures of that blade you can see the line at the top of the knife and it goes through the top bolster rivet hole.
Thanks for listening to my @@@@@

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Hmmm. That resembles a transition line between hardened and soft steel.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
It does seem harder. But it goes the full length of the billet and looks to like it was added some how. Maybe it will be gone after Heat Treat, Hope so.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast

two tone blade

I'm not sure it'll go away with heat treat. If not, a soak in ferric cloride (archer etchant) may 'frost' it enough that you won't see it. Russ
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Skilled

ATS-34 all day. no runs , no drips, no errors. lol welcome to knifemaking ART

Tags
art, ats-34, blade, grinding, heat treat, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, steel