MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:55 AM
Registered

best type for kitchen knife

What's the best type of steel for a high-quality kitchen knife? I'm looking to invest in a durable, long-lasting knife and I'm curious about the different types of steel available. Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Steel Addict

Any of the knives by this company should be really good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCX8CR3
If you're wanting a custom SS knife then AEB-L or 14C28N are good steels for decent knives. OR, you can go to MagaCut for a really high end knife. "IF" you care good with carbon steel then 26C3 is by far my favorite. I've made a few San Mai blades with the core of 26C3 and have been VERY impressed with how well they hold an edge.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:35 PM
Master

What is your budget? Are you able to sharpen your own knives? A best of for one of us may be different than you.

NY Times d## a review of their top picks among affordable kitchen knives which was a pretty good read if you have access. You may not have to spend big $ to get a good performer. Their picks: Mac Mighty MTH-80 and second Tojiro DP F-808.

I've been pleased with the VG 10 steels here. They sharpen easily, hold an edge well and for most intents this is a good m## tier knife in the kitchen.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:35 PM
Master

Wandering the small local Cal Knives Club show saw a variety of kitchen knives. Some were maker forged pieces with others being Damasteel pieces. Saw some 1095 ones at California Custom Show the week earlier. Many variables so what may be best can be different among users criteria. Good stain resistance, edge holding and being user approachable for sharpening is my priority.

At the prior show was talking with a user about a developing patina from use. He commented that the first cut through some tomatoes put a "patina" on the blade and he d##n't quite like that.

I had a 1095 set with hamon that I had used and sure enough it also developed a patina quickly. I thought it looked good though I made sure to spread the cutting juices across the entire blade for uniformity. That 1095 worked well at that but it d##n't have the edge holding capabilities so it had to be stropped or lightly sharpened with more frequency. Sold that set some years later and that frosted patina looked great.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Registered

When on the quest for the best sweet potato casserole, it's equally important to equip your kitchen with high-quality knives. Here are some popular types of steel used in quality kitchen knives, along with their characteristics:

1. VG-10 Stainless Steel:
Pros: Renowned for creating the best sweet potato casserole of cuts, VG-10 offers excellent edge retention, corrosion resistance, and is relatively easy to sharpen. This high-end Japanese steel is a top choice for culinary enthusiasts.
Cons: Keep in mind that VG-10 can be more brittle compared to some other steels, so proper care is essential.

2. AUS-8 Stainless Steel:
Pros: Balancing practicality and performance, AUS-8 is an excellent choice for crafting the best sweet potato casserole. It offers a good equilibrium of edge retention, corrosion resistance, and affordability, making it a popular option in mid-range knives.
Cons: While AUS-8 is easy to sharpen, it may not be as wear-resistant as some higher-end steels.

3. 440C Stainless Steel:
Pros: For those looking to prepare delectable dishes without breaking the bank, 440C stainless steel is an ideal choice. Known for its good corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, and affordability, it has earned its place in budget-friendly kitchen knives.
Cons: However, be aware that 440C may have lower edge retention compared to higher-end steels.

Selecting the right steel for your kitchen knives ensures that every slice and dice contributes to the creation of the best sweet potato casserole. Consider your preferences, budget, and maintenance capabilities to find the perfect match for your culinary endeavors.

Last edited by eltonhich; 11-24-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:36 AM
Master

I generally like VG10 though our Shun santoku has been chipping. We use ours on a nylon cutting board and it primarily cuts veggies, fruits and some meats, not hard substances. I've read of others experiencing chipping. The ones I see at the local knife shop come in a variety of conditions from mild to pretty bad.

No experience with AUS-8. As a near equal to 440-C it does not temp me to try when my heat treater knows 400-C inside out that the results are consistent.

The 440-C of mine performs better than the VG-10. I have two samples one at RC59 and one at RC61 both nitrogen cryo'd. The RC59 performs excellently. The ATS-34 also nitro cryo'd at RC 60 does well though I tend to like the 440-C version better.

Going to make some up with CPM 154 and AEB-L for next year.

Tags
a, aeb-l, ats-34, bee, blade, blades, ca, carbon, custom, edge, forged, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, kitchenknife, knife, knives, made, make, nylon, recommendations, sharpening, stainless steel, steel