MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Skilled

New member from WNC

Hi all. New member here though I've lurked a time or two. I'm also a newb at knifemaking, something I've wanted to try for 25 years or so.
My goal is to make knives that are purely functional, ergonomically confortable with an esthetically pleasing profile. Additionally beauty would come from nice wood scales. I truly want functionality with a focus on outdoors, hunting, camping, bushcraft, so it is highly unlikely I'll ever make a "Rambo" or Bowie style.

So I bought some 440C and started. It was after making the profiles and grinding that I realized some of the difficulties of heat treating this stainless. Though I do have a kiln aka burnout oven I use for jewelry making, with the temperatures, stainless foil, etc, I'll send them out. I have made a few initial prototypes in 1095 carbon and heat treated and seem to have had reasonable success.
I'll post a few photos when I've met the required time/post count.
I do have a few newb questions I'll post in different threads.

Just saying "Hello" and look forward to learning more as I grow in skills and knowledge of knife making!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Skilled

Welcome, sounds like you are well under way. I'll just whisper this before you get hit over the head with it...(whisper) "1084"

Use an inexpensive, simple steel, and save yourself alot of things, time, money headache etc...

Post pics of your knives and progress here we love to see them.

Ricky
Old 12-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to the forum, WNC! We look forward to seeing what you have done so far ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
Welcome, sounds like you are well under way. I'll just whisper this before you get hit over the head with it...(whisper) "1084"

Use an inexpensive, simple steel, and save yourself alot of things, time, money headache etc...

Post pics of your knives and progress here we love to see them.

Ricky

I'm going to go out on a limb in my beginner ignorance and guess that you suggest 1084 for the greater latitude and less critical heat treating stage.

I bought the 1095 from Jantz because it is available in small quantities, and is supposedly an easy steel for beginners to work with. And frankly, that's just what I found quickly for a supply. I figured with having a computer controlled electric oven I would be reasonably confident of being able to heat treat and temper within fairly small parameters. Especially vs. the guys trying to heat treat using a charcoal fire and toaster oven.

If these first efforts in 1095 prove to be failures, I'd certainly try 1084 but Jantz doesn't carry it and so I'd need to find a source for small quantities.

But perhaps I'm wrong and there is a different reason you'd suggest 1084 over 1095?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Skilled

And I just found the New Jersey Steel Baron site which does indeed have 1084 in smaller quantities.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

1095 isn't as easy as it looks like it might be. Give the 1084 a shot with a small blade. If you do have trouble with it just say so and we'll go over the details of your process ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Skilled

Welcome to the forum man. I definitely recommend 1084 for making knives. Don't let the fact that it is simple to heat treat make you think that it isn't a quality steel. When heat treated properly it make an excellent knife. Even Ed Caffrey, a well known master bladesmith uses 1084 very often.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:36 AM

Welcome Goater. What part of WNC? I'm up in Hanging Dog quite regular (my Laffin' Place).
Lot of quality makers in NC, so you might want to check out their Guild forum further down in these KNF forums.
Lot of good helpful people in that Guild. I know quite a few of them and a couple are really close friends.

Also, if you are in the lower western most area of NC (or even if you're not) you are welcome to attend my Trackrock Hammer-ins. I hold these twice a year down in Blairsville, GA. The Spring event will be the weekend before Easter (March).
Let me know if you are interested.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Welcome Goater. What part of WNC? I'm up in Hanging Dog quite regular (my Laffin' Place).
Lot of quality makers in NC, so you might want to check out their Guild forum further down in these KNF forums.
Lot of good helpful people in that Guild. I know quite a few of them and a couple are really close friends.

Also, if you are in the lower western most area of NC (or even if you're not) you are welcome to attend my Trackrock Hammer-ins. I hold these twice a year down in Blairsville, GA. The Spring event will be the weekend before Easter (March).
Let me know if you are interested.
Hendersonville, just south of Asheville. Actually live out near Bat Cave. Thanks for the invitation. Depending on where this new knife making road leads I may just take you up on it!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Skilled

Lets see if I can post a photo.

This is the first one I finished with figured maple scales.

[IMG] photo proto 3_zpspnvnd43w.jpg[/IMG]

This is the second one finished with walnut scales.

[IMG] photo proto 2_zpsxglifyze.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 AM

Beautiful area. Used to rock climb not far from there.
You're in a great area for sure. My good friend RLo (Rick Lowe) lives just west of Asheville in Candler. Bill Wiggens lives just north of him and Gary Roberts(?) (sorry Gary, dropped a brain cell) not far from either of them. All excellent knifemakers. I'm sure there are several others right there around Asheville, being the "Artsy" place it is.
Best bet might be to contact RLo he can give you a better local's update and contacts.
Come on down to the Hammer-in if you can. It's free and open to the public in a very nice privately owned campground. This will be my 30th event there. Just google www.trackrock.com for directions.
RLo is a quick google away. Bill and Gary do a lot of work with the Haywood Tri-county College - they teach knifemaking and bladesmithing classes there in association with the ABS. Also a big bonus is Kahne & Son's Blacksmith Depot is right there in Candler as well. Great place to visit and spend money.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Skilled

Didn't know Candler had such a place! I'll be needing to make a trip over there after th first of the year.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:05 AM

Not bad Goater!
Probably need to google the Blacksmith Depot and get a phone #, seems like RLo was telling me visits were by appointment only these days. Be prepared to be awed though, the old man has a two story fly press that looks like it could make a bb out of a VW Bug in one pass. His induction forge is a really cool thing to operate as well. Plus - all the anvils, hammers, and tongs you could ever want to see. If he's feeling up to it he'll show off his sample room as well. Plan on a couple of hours.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
1084, 1095, 440c, blade, bowie, bushcraft, camping, carbon, grinding, heat, hunting, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, made, make, post, profile, scales, simple, stainless, steel, supply, wood