MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 01-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh O Mason
Old Bolo knife, and an OLD boot knife.

Just thought I'd show a couple of old knives I came across in the past few months.

The first is an old Bolo knife that belonged to my mom's grandfather. I've never seen one with a handle like this one, and I suspect it might have been replaced?

My dad came across this other little knife in a junk shop in my hometown. He paid like 4 bucks for it. I know it's old, but not sure how old. On the stag handle, there is a little steel buttcap, and the tang has been peened over it. I just got this digital camera, and my pics arent coming out so great yet.

Anyone have any info on any of these knives? Thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That is a neat bolo and I really love knicker knives. Old stag seems to develope a character of its own, that cannot be duplicated.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Steel Addict

I kinda thought the little knife was either a boot knife, or something a lady would carry in her garter belt. It doesn't have any markings or anything on it. Wonder how old it is?

You think that handle on the bolo is original? I know there were many different types and stuff, but I just cant seem to find any that look like mine.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Hall of Famer

The bolo looks very similar to a Plumb model 1917. Something fishy about the handle, you are right. Got any marks on it?

The nicker or (sock knife) I always spell it K-nicker, but a knicker is a marble, is Bavarian in origin of design. Late 19th century is as close as I could guess. Any marks? Lots of them made in Solingen for export. Some even call it an "Export Knife". I like to put them in with "Gent knives" Such a cool style for an EDC utility.Yours looks kinda like a dagger. A dagger is a dagger I guess, but most of them are made with a flat ground droppoint. I have a small collection, maybe ten pieces. The brass ferrel kinda throws me for a loop. Makes me wonder if it was made in Germany as all the ones marked from there that I have seen have had nickle silver hardware.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Here is a pic of one of my favorites because of the unique piece of stag. (top)

I won another knife in an ebay auction, not a nicker, and the seller just thru the mini into the box and sent it to me along with the other knife. I don't even remember what knife it was now because I was thrilled to get that little cutie for a center piece of my collection.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
The bolo looks very similar to a Plumb model 1917. Something fishy about the handle, you are right. Got any marks on it?

The nicker or (sock knife) I always spell it K-nicker, but a knicker is a marble, is Bavarian in origin of design. Late 19th century is as close as I could guess. Any marks? Lots of them made in Solingen for export. Some even call it an "Export Knife". I like to put them in with "Gent knives" Such a cool style for an EDC utility.Yours looks kinda like a dagger. A dagger is a dagger I guess, but most of them are made with a flat ground droppoint. I have a small collection, maybe ten pieces. The brass ferrel kinda throws me for a loop. Makes me wonder if it was made in Germany as all the ones marked from there that I have seen have had nickle silver hardware.
The bolo doesn't have any marks on it at all... it's also only ground on one side. The other side of the blade is flat. If the handle was in fact replaced, it was done so a really long time ago because it's old too. The strange thing about the handle is that the tang runs about halfway through the slab handles, and there is a wood shim that fills the rest of the handle. The handle is really long, and I can easily grip it with both hands. Strange.

Thanks for the info on the little nicker knife... It doesn't have any kind of markings or anything at all. The blade is kind of like a clip point almost...it has a flat grind, almost like a scandi or saber grind.

I know the ferrell in the pictue has a golden kind of color like brass, but it is nickel silver. it's just dirty, and had been lying in an old box of crap for who knows how long before my dad rescued it.

How much are these knives worth?

Thanks alot man....I learned alot about my new toys. Btw, I really like your little knives. I was at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Pigeon Forge Tennesee a few weekends ago, and in their little museum, they had a collection of knives like ours. Also got to see a collection of Rudy Ruana bowies. Too cool.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Hall of Famer

The nickers range in value from 15- 200 dollars depending on condition and materials. I think that old piece of stag on the handle is worth at least 50 bucks. I love the Ruana bowies and hope to get off my duff and cast some aluminum handles, guards and pommels soon. Here is a pic of a modern Wusthof nicker. Most of mine are older ones in poor to fair shape.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives