MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Master

Taidea corundum water stones

Have any Of you guys/gals had any experience with the Taidea water stones? I bought the 3000 grit and 8000 grit. They didn't have a 6000 grit so I ordered a steelx in 6000. I have always preferred free hand sharpening and have had some great results with my old stones. I also have the spyderco sharpmaker and for what it is comes out with some amazing results but I wanted larger bench stones so that's why I went with these water stones.

After I finished with the 8k stone I couldn't even shave with the knife! The stones seem courser then they say they are. They have good bite and cut the steel well but for the life of me I can't figure out why I can't get a nice edge from them. My ceramics are out of this world compared to these water stones. I don't have the steelx 6k yet so I can't say how well that works.

Have any of you guys come across an issue like this?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Master

Nobody has any thoughts on this problem?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Steel Addict

I'm sure you've suspected that the grits don't carry across the different types of stones, or at least you just found out.

a 1000 grit ceramic doesn't have the same size particle as a 1000 grit oil stone, that doesn't have the same size grit of a 1000 grit water stone. to confound the problem further, the grits don't correlate between country's. its a problem that's been around for a long time. I wish the industry would get together a set a world wide standard.

my guess is you have a feel for your old stones and haven't found a good match yet.

Erik
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Master

I've honestly tried everything with these stones. The 3000 grit stone wears so fast that I can't see it lasting for more then ten sharpenings. The 8000 grit is a lot harder but still won't produce a nice keen edge. I said screw it and ordered the spyderco ceramic bench stones. The sharpmaker does a great job so I shouldn't have any problems with the bench stones.

I haven't tried any really expensive water stones so maybe it's just because they are so cheap.

Tags
bee, blade, edge, hand, knife, sharpening, spyderco, stone