MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Hall of Famer

A complete Package?

Yes there is a sheath in the picture. This has got to be a first for me. Actually had the sheath done before the knife. I've been trying to make at least one sheath a day for little better than a week now. I got tired of doing sheaths so I started working on this knife. Its got a W-2 blade thats just over 7" with a curly maple handle and wrought iron fittings. This one also has a peened threw tang instead of my usual nut and ring. Little over 12" overall.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Master

Sweet looking knife...and sheath too. You're really getting mileage out of that curly maple. I like it. Todd
Old 03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhill
Sweet looking knife...and sheath too. You're really getting mileage out of that curly maple. I like it. Todd
Todd, I got miles of it. Next one is going to be African Blackwood. I need a change and so do you....

Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Ray, once again you've created a classy piece. I love the red color of the handle.

Nathan
Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Master

I like the ones you do with the blackwood. I think that's my favorite type of wood you use for handles. I have to say though I think your stag handles take first place. They're awesome. Any more results from that testing you were doing? Todd
Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhill
I like the ones you do with the blackwood. I think that's my favorite type of wood you use for handles. I have to say though I think your stag handles take first place. They're awesome. Any more results from that testing you were doing? Todd
Todd, As for the testing I need to come up with an easier way to do it. Its really tough on my hand. I went and re ground the stock removal blade thinner and re sharpened the 3 blades. Then I taped the edges except for 1 1/2" and started cutting with the stock removal blade first and got 200 cuts. By then my hand was screaming. Ed Fowler suggested just using 1/2" of blade so I may just do that. I've got the Oregon Show I'm trying to get ready for in two weeks. Then I'm going to Canada to give a knife forging class the first weekend of May. Then Blade after that. Once Blade is over I'll start on the testing again. To many irons in the fire at this time.

As for the wood I was getting burnt out with all the stag I was doing. Blackwood is also my favorite wood. I've been enjoying the curly maple mainly because its so easy to work compared to most the other woods. I enjoy trying different color combinations with it also.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Steel Addict

package

Very nice Ray! I like the stain on this one better than the last one. Seems to bring out the chatoyancy of the maple. I got some stain from Laurel Mtn Forge to try on maple. It's sposed to be period correct for long rifle stuff, and can be thinned to please. I'll let you know how it works. I'm up to my eyeballs in FB maple to test it on. Maybe I'll have some swatches for the show. Hey, I've tried to get that Texaco B and all I can locate it in is 55 gal drums. Any IDers where to get smaller ( 5gal) quantities? Argh! I just missed by a couple months getting about 3 ton of profiled but not milled chainsaw bars 3/16" , 1050 steel. I jus procrastinated too long and they went to the scrap yard to turn into rebar for CHINA. I did get 4 blades out of the sample bar I got from them though. 1 9" Indian Dag, a 7" Dag, a 6" seax, and one yet to be forged. I picked up a guage rod at the local RR yard. It's about 1 1/4" dia. and about 5' long. Somebody said they were 1084, but so far it sparks more like 1030-1040. If it won't make blades it will make ok hammers and hawks me thinks.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Marty, The only time I was able to get the type B was about 12 years ago and at the time I was able to get 5 gallons. Anymore it seems 55 gallon drums are the minimum if they will even do that. I did find the B to be a little to fast for some steels. What I had was just fuel for the fire. Period correct? I'll have to come by and see your samples. Those darn scrap dealers get all the good deals. I often wonder how many great anvils met there end through them.

Did you get that 1084 you were asking me about?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Living Legend

Looks good Ray, the hammon came out great.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Finnigan
Looks good Ray, the hammon came out great.
Brent, I did find some Tung oil yesterday. The places that should have had it didn't and the place I least expected did have it. I'm going to give it a try. I think it will dry quicker than the Watco.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered

hey,my friend!
so this is the infamous "cart b4 the horse" - ?lol!
another beaut - the hamon is sweet,the maple looks great - very tiger and the sheath compliments and carries the theme:"Tiger Scalper"ya got there! (..did i mention i was born the 'year of the tiger" - ?after lookin' @ the last few knives again i'm not missin' the ring nuts as much.. another evolution.hafta say i really like the way ya been contouring the handles lately - dunno if i said so b4.
it's a winning combo Ray!
gotta go pick up Sha - talk to ya soon!
- les
p.s. think you'll find the tung oil will actually take a lil' longer to dry than the watco

Last edited by lesra; 04-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Ray, I think the sheath is very well done, my friend. Was hoping I could see you again at Blade this year but (as the fates have it) I will be on a western tour at that time. Be well! ---Sandy---

Old 04-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Sandy, I try to do one sheath at a time now and it doesn't effect my hands to bad. I get in trouble when when I try and do a bunch all at once. I'll miss not seeing you this year. Not sure if I will bother doing Blade again after this time. The flight out there is just getting to darn expensive. A lot depends on how well I do this year also. Have a good time on your tour!

Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

Ray, By period correct in regards to the Laurel Mtn Forge stains is that the stains he makes are the same, or close to the same color as the preferred stain colors from the long rifle era. Yes folks, even back in the 17-1800's people behaved like herd animals, and followed the new colors and trends of the day. OOhh no, tssk can't I get that in avacado instead of puce! It just wouldn't be me to be seen with a long rifle in puce! Or perhaps in burnt cherry. And could I get the quillwork on my possibles bag in ivory and magenta, that would bring out my eyes! What do you think Grizzly Dan, do these new buckskins make me look fat? ................ Sash, or the brass tacked belt?? How about the hawk,...engraved with the cute little eagle inlay, or the rust finish? I think the rust finish would look better with the ivory and magenta, don't you Griz? And no I didn't get any of the 1084. But I did get the analysis back on the batch of 1 1/4x 3/16 cold rolled steel and it's good 1050. So I'll have lots of that at the show, and all the rest of the normal stuff. Oh yea and MORE SCHWAUKERS!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Marty, As you can see by the old photo of me that there's an M-16 with a Chicita Banana sticker on it. The one to the right is period correct so I guess I have never been that way. My weapon is next to the hot Falstaff beer.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives