MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-16-2001, 08:39 AM
Dana Acker

Re: Welcome Back Max!

Hey Max, would you tell us one more time how you use the cutler's resin in fastening slab handles. That wsa a good and informative post that got lost when the old Outpost went down. That's one we ennd to hear again, and put in the archives. Now that we've got you back, Max, we're going to put you to work. No free lunches on the Outpost.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:48 AM
MaxTheKnife

Yeah, maybe I'll work up a tutorial on that too Dana. It's easy, but would be better communicated with pictures. Cutler's Resin rules and that's a fact!
Old 05-17-2001, 07:53 AM
Dana Acker

So far I have only used it on hidden tang knives, but with good results. I really like sealing my hemp cord wrappings with it too. I posted this picture earlier, but here it is again. The knife tang is both pinned and glued into the antler with the pine pitch glue. Also the hemp cord "ferrule" is sealed with it.

Old 05-17-2001, 04:41 PM
MaxTheKnife

That's a dandy Dana! Send it to me and I'll trade you out of it. Who know's what'll be coming from my forge in the days and weeks to come. I've got to get started on my IITH friction folder pretty soon so I'll be geared up for something Tribal. I love to trade!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 11:37 AM
Dana Acker

Hey Max, How do you glue slab handles on with cutler's resin, Bro?
Old 06-01-2001, 01:14 PM
MaxTheKnife

It's easy Dana. Just lay the tang in the hot resin while you're getting the slabs ready. Then ladle on lots of resin and lay your slabs on one at a time. Dip the pins in the resin before inserting in one of the slabs until about 1/4" is sticking through. That way, you can lay the other slab directly onto the tang using the pins for alignment. Of course, the pins have to stick through the tang a little for that to work.

Since the tang is hot, the resin will stay liquid long enough for you to get the handle in a vise to set up. Peen the pins almost flush, then heat up the handle again with a heat gun or torch and finish peening the pins. Coat the entire handle with hot resin now and wipe off the excess with a lint free rag. After you do your finish sanding, coat the handle with resin one more time and wipe off the excess. There you go. Easy as pie! After the handle cools, rub it with a lint free cloth to shine it up. Works great and is way better than epoxy!
Old 06-01-2001, 01:58 PM
Dana Acker

Do you find it holds well?
Old 06-01-2001, 02:06 PM
MaxTheKnife

It's not about holding Dana, it's about sealing. You know that. The pins hold the slabs on. The resin just seals out any chance for rust to set up. As for sealing, it has proven itself quite well. Look at amber. It's acutally the sap from a deciduous tree like pine, cedar, spruce or cypress. Little insects have been found in that sap that carbon date to millions of years old! Of course it seals well.

Wayne Goddard wrote a report about a knife he was commissioned to re-handle once. It seems that the handle slabs were sealed on with cutler's resin. He had to litteraly beat the slabs off to do the job! I'm thinking it's the best way to go. Time will tell, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:43 PM
Dana Acker

I read that article by Wayne Goddard too, Max. I wish Wayne would chime in once in a while. He used to be a regular on this forum--back in the old days. He got taken to task a few too many times on the forum though, rightly or wrongly, I can't say as I wasn't involved in his posts, but he probably got sick of it. I miss his input. Wayne, if you're out there, your welcome to come back on board, Sir.

Anyway, after reading his article, that's when I figured there might be some real "holding" power to the cutler's resin mix, depending on the mix. I know when I get it on something, like my hands or the kitchen sink or stove, it sticks to that real well. It sticks so well to kitchen appliances, that it's probably better off that I'm single for now.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:07 AM
Dana Acker

Lots of good info here--just keeping it current.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Good thread! Did Wayne ever come back?
Dana, how is your catche of pitch? How much pitch does one usually catche? And does it really matter if you are pitchin' or catchin? .....ba da bump....

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives