MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Newbie KITH?

May 30th is the deadline

Update!!! Anyone who considers themselves a noob is welcome

This is a thread for organizing and signing up for the newbie KITH. Those wondering what a KITH is should check out this link:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...arrowhead+kith

Here's a must read link for KITHs in general. It's especially applicable for us noobs: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17333

Here is the list- it'll be constantly updated:

-Undisclosed Name (jdm61)
-Jon (synghyn)
-Mike Ferrara (Mike Ferrara
-Brett Holmes (Holmsy2000)
-Bill Withem (Bill Withem)
-Dwane Oliver (BigD)
-Ron (Mungo Park)
-Andrew Garrett (Andrew Garrett)
-Undisclosed (TikTok)
-Darrin Clause (Darrin clause)
-J. Keeton (J. Keeton)
-Mark Munds (mmunds)
-Mark D (Markd)
-Alex C. (Alex C.)
-Stuart Brulotte (Artstu)
-Nathan (armory414)
-Dan (IronMonkey)
-Bill Miller (BMiller)
-J. Barton (JBARTON)
-Andy Sharpe (ranger1)
-Christopher Goodpaster (Deifyd)
-Jason McCoy (Cougaar)
-Donald (SmokinDuck)
-John T Wylie Jr. Henderson (Vegas Henchman)
-Steve Locatelli (Slo Cat)

I'm wondering who all would be interested in a newbie KITH. It would be as simple as it gets. Anyone who considers themselves a noob can sign on, with the more experienced noobs realizing that some of the newer noobs might not return as nice a knife as they would. It would be the best effort that could be made, with forging and stock removal both being an option. I'm not sure whether or not there would be a fee.

Here's the rundown (it'll be updated as time goes by and things are agreed on)
-Newbie KITH
-If you consider yourself a noob- join in!
-Stock removal and forging are both valid
-Must be a usable knife (heat treat, no deep cracks, etc.)
-Must be a best effort
-Starts Jan. 1
-sheaths encouraged but not neccessary.
-The sender of the knife will pay shipping. If the knife is outside of Canada, the U.S., or Mexico, then the reciever will pay the extra shipping costs
-you can pull out at any time before names are called: June 1st at this point
-Have Fun!!!

Organization is now taken care of. I'll draw the names.
Here are the links to threads on
Blade Forums: http://bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375973
Bladesmith's Forums: http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=4130
Primal Fires: http://p222.ezboard.com/fprimalfires...icID=312.topic

Last edited by Peter_E_Ryt; 03-02-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

That might turn into something like a group of people just learning how to cook and they decide to have dinner parties at each other’s homes. Some of the meals are going to be great, some ok and some down right gag a maggot. You don’t want to get the bad one after yours was pretty good. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
newbie kith

sounds like a plan. Maybe the draw could be scheduled to coordinate with a hammer-in like Batson's or Spring Piney Woods, or if we decide on 6 months, the Blade show. Might be a good chance for those of us who can attend to show off what the new guys on the block are doing. How about newbie defined as anyone who has lessthan one year of knifemaking experience counted from the time the KITH starts?
Joe Mandt
Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
and as for maggot gagging, I think most people don't want to embaras themselves.....lol
Old 12-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

I like that idea. I think that 6 months will work too. It'll prevent any of the "Gag a maggot problems".
The thing about this being a noobie KITH is that everyone needs to understand that it is a group of noobies. Perhaps the meal won't taste great, but the experience itself will be great for learning, and plenty of good stories could from it.

One other thing that I would want to be part of the KITH is a feedback section and a process section. Each person would post what they did/learned/will do next time/won't do next time, in the feedback section, the recievers state their opinions on the blade and suggestions. This allows it to be a learning experience, which every one of us noobs could use(honestly ).

Maybe we could devide the KITH so that stock removers are with stock removers and smiths with smiths. This will keep everyone on the same page. What do yall think?

Edit: yall don't mind yalls posts being copied to the bladesmith's forums topic on this do yall? http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=4130 just tell me if you do and I'll edit it out.

Last edited by Peter_E_Ryt; 12-02-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Guru

Hey, you never know when today's noob may be tomorrow's master! that maggot gagging blade may be fetch a fair price in the future!

Most kiths have no cost/fee associated other than you have to ship a blade. Likewise, any experience level is usually welcome. Anytime ya'll see another KITH going on, please don't feel left out just because you're new! That's all part of the KITH experience. As long as someone tried their best, that's all that counts!

Just my $0.02

Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

I'd probably be interested in something like that...

Jason
Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Don!
I'll make a point of dropping into a KITH at some point in time.
The point of this one is kind of like having a noobie hammerin. It builds a bond between noobies so that we all share something more than a lack of experience. It also allows us to teach each other something in the process. A bonding/learning/fun kind of experience that is somewhat special because it is all of the new guys getting, learning, and teaching other new guys.

Okay, so now we have three solid things now.
-No Fee
-Must have less than a year of experience as of the start of the KITH
-The people signing on will have 6 months as of (new years perhaps, or maybe Jan 31)

So then, here is the current list
-Peyton Runyan (Peter Ryt)
-Undisclosed Name (jdm61)
-~Pending~ Jason (elkdoc)

~+*Edit: this thread is now on Blade Forums Too*+~

Last edited by Peter_E_Ryt; 12-02-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Steel Addict

May I ask what a KITH is?

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

Knife In The Hat
Each signed up maker creates a knife meating the requirements. It is then mailed to a person selected randomly out of a hat. Sometimes there is a fee when it is for a cause, like Katrina, etc. It's a good experience for everyone.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Skilled

the last kith brought to you by the outpost forum........................

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...arrowhead+kith
Old 12-03-2005, 01:02 AM

newbie kith

Sure , I like the idea count me in.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Steel Addict

I understand now. UnfortunatlIy I do not have a forge or real knife grinder. But, I will enjoy monitoring the event.

Thanks, Steve
netech3@cox.net

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 12-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Steel Addict

I got a dumb question , well a couple. What does the guy that gets the knives do with them? I have been making kit knives for a couple of years , but hand made for only a couple of months , could I join?8o

Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 AM

Just for clarity...

A KITH is a knife exchange. It's not one guy that gets them. It stems from the old tradition of a bunch of buddies or co-workers all tossing their knives out on a table and grabbing a different one up. It's a community building thing!

We just finished a KITH over on Primal Fires where the theme was a knife using recycled material. I just signed up for another called 'Spring Fling' where spring steel is featured and the deadline is in the spring. Get ithe drift?

The way the last one worked was that the initiator drew names on the deadline and wrote a list as he went. He posted the list as drawn. You sent your knife to the guy on the list whose name appeared under yours. Simple! No money involved, just good fun.

A kith really inspires you to do your best work because another knifemaker will be checkin' out your skills all up close an' personal like! It is a great learning tool!

The only observation I would make concerns exclusion. The experienced makers, and indeed the masters include makers of all experience levels in their kiths. At least, I have never seen one posted stating otherwise (only been here less than a year tho). The Neo-Tribal (Primal Fires) kith had participants whose work demands the highest respect, such as Tai Goo to name but one. They also welcomed a noob like me. I'm just not sure it's altogether cool to say, "This ones just for us rookies." The theme here has never been one of 'us and them' ya know?

Just my 2 bits..., I may very well be way out in left field on this one. I'll let others decide.

However, if you want to attract the newbies to a kith while scaring away the masters, just say, "...knives made from files or saw blades with Dymondwood handles"!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
awesome, balisong, blade, bowie, butterfly knife, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hand, hand made, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, post, show