MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thumbs up Chat Room Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!

The Chat Room will be open from 5 pm to 8 pm Pacific (9 pm to 11 pm Eastern). This is especially for our newest members so if you've never been there before don't let that stop you. All you need to do is go to http://www.rayrogers.com/chat/chat.htm and sign on with your KNET ID or your real name. Simple, free, informative, and fun....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

I'll be there with bells on. And I have a question...When are you a knife maker? When you buy a blade and finish it from that point? When you grind a blade doing stock removal? When forge the blade and finish it?

My reason for asking is that I have eye problems that may permanently give me a depth perception problem at working distances (12" to 24"). I"ll know Monday afternoon after a doctor's appointment.

My question is...How should I mark my knives...giving credit where credit is due....
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Actually, we've had that discussion in years past and it's always an active topic. Basically, you're a knife maker when you make knives. By that, we mean when you make the blade and attach a handle - how you make the blade doesn't matter as long as you physically, personally make it somehow. That would be in contrast to someone who made a blade by programming a CNC machine - if you do that you're a manufacturer. If you buy your blades and finish the knife you're a cutler. This is all by definition and some may have other interpretations but I think these interpretations are widely supported.

As for your eyes, I've NEVER had any depth perception since I was born with only one functional eye and now I have plastic lenses in my eye due to cataract repair and I can still make knives. If I can do it, so can you. When my cataracts were bad and I couldn't see clearly more than 6" in front of my face I wore a ball cap while grinding so that the bill of the cap would hit the 60 grit belt before my face did - kind of like a curb feeler. Where there is a will, there is a way and I'm sure you will find yours ....

Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post

As for your eyes, I've NEVER had any depth perception since I was born with only one functional eye and now I have plastic lenses in my eye due to cataract repair and I can still make knives. If I can do it, so can you. When my cataracts were bad and I couldn't see clearly more than 6" in front of my face I wore a ball cap while grinding so that the bill of the cap would hit the 60 grit belt before my face did - kind of like a curb feeler. Where there is a will, there is a way and I'm sure you will find yours ....

Thanks Ray...talk to you in chat tonight. And I'll answer your response. Teddy
Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Skilled

I hope to Be there I had to add some programing to my Computer as I have Never liked or used Java with Foxfire . I am in Mid-Tennessee so I would assume it would be @ 9 to 11 tonight ?

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM

You always turn Java off when you're not in the Chat Room if you want to, easy to do. If TN is in the same time zone as NY, and I think it is, then it would be 8 to 11 for you (8 o'clock, not 9). Hope to see you there Sam ...

Tags
bee, blade, blades, cnc, easy, forge, grinding, handle, knife, knives, made, make, newest, plastic, repair, simple, stock removal