MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Cool Ever seen a linerlock Barlow?

Here's a custom made linerlock? Barlow I made for a collector who has over 200 Barlows.

I made it to look as closely as I could to the original, except it is assembled with screws instead of peened pins. The handle scales are bone.

Scroll down the page
Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Steel Addict

Barlow

Don, that is an awesome knife. Very Nice.
Roland
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Roland. First time I've ever been asked to make a copy of a collector's item.

I like it. Makes a great pocket knife.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:10 PM

That is a really nice Barlow. Barlows have always been one of my favorite knives. I've had quite a few of them. Broken a lot of finger nails trying to open them too. You have a real improvement over the original design.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by dart
That is a really nice Barlow. Barlows have always been one of my favorite knives. I've had quite a few of them. Broken a lot of finger nails trying to open them too. You have a real improvement over the original design.
Thanks for the compliment. There's more to the story, though. You don't even need to pull the blade open. You can open it with your index finger by pressing on the corner of the spine that extends past the bolster just a little bit. :cool:

How's that for a finger nail saver?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Skilled

When Don first showed me this knife a few days ago, my first thought was, how strange, building a $300 replica of a knife they gave away for almost nothing by the hundreds.

But then, I've seen some of Don's knives. Worth every penny, they are.

Thanks for putting this up here, Don. When are you going to show us the button lock?

-Frank J Warner

Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Frank J Warner
Thanks for putting this up here, Don. When are you going to show us the button lock?

-Frank J Warner [/B]
Here it is. I apologize for the poor pictures, but I've given up on photography.

http://home.earthlink.net/~donwrobinson/id7.html
Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
As you know Barlow is a style not a brand. Every company except one or two thu out time has a Barlow in its line up. If I looked around a bit I'll bet I could find one that goes for 300. Probably would be a Case or a Russel with corn cob scales.
Nothing wrong with keeping tradition alive. They are much more pleasing to the eye than the butt ugly tacticals that are all the rage.
My favorite of the 20 or so I have is my "Daddy" barlow my son bought me at a flea market for fathers day. I have contemplated pulling it apart and making into a linerlock.

My choice for a pattern to copy would be a Kabar Grizzly auto. I believe you could sell them as fast as you could make them (if you could find one to copy)

Nice one Don, I'll bet that one is the pride of your friends collection. I hope his collection stays together thru the ages.

Here is one. how high will it go? Not the best of the best.
ebay item

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 04-06-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Close but no cigar!

Russel Barlow

Another fav pattern of mine is the large single blade coke bottle. Those done in a frame lock with a drop point skinner blade with an open back and all screwed together for take down deep cleaning at the end of season, would probably make a great deer hunter knife. The biggest beef with a folder for skinning is them getting all gunked up. The blade and handle config. would give it the look of the old frisco gold rush boot knife. Come on, you guys can tell me if you think I am crazy.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Hall of Famer

I hadn't noticed the link to the ebay knife until now. I'm surprised to see that it looks almost like the one I made, except for the thumb cutout. The handle scales look the same.

When do you want me to start on the coke bottle?

I'd never seen a barlow with a cut out like that before. Thanks for the link and the compliment.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Steel Addict

Don,
That is beautiful! I have always had a special liking for Barlow's. It was my first knife. That bone really pretty!
Chris S.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Chris. I was especially pleased with the way the bone came out. That's the first time I've used smooth bone.

I just now caught up with my work and I think I'll start another Barlow.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Don, just checked out you site. Nice work and your grampa looks like a very nice guy.
Someone told me once that knifemakers became knifemakers because they were either too cheap, or too broke to buy a custom knife. I said: "Wow, they got me with both barrels"

My machinist brother looks at me with my charcoal forge and my Nicholson mill and scratches his head. :confused: So, for his birthday this July, I am going to get him your book "How to make a tactical knife" That should be just the ticket to lure him into the fold.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Yep, that ought to do it. That book is very good for a machinist to use to make his first knife. It has everything he needs to know.

You ought to give him the book with the understanding that his first knife comes to you as a birthday present in return.

I've started two more Barlows. Got the blades made and the flats finished. Now to make the back spacers and liners.

I ordered some more of that beautiful honey colored bone from Koval, and I may put some old jigged bone I've had around for about ten years on the second one.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdownnow
Another fav pattern of mine is the large single blade coke bottle. Those done in a frame lock with a drop point skinner blade with an open back and all screwed together for take down deep cleaning at the end of season, would probably make a great deer hunter knife. The biggest beef with a folder for skinning is them getting all gunked up. The blade and handle config. would give it the look of the old frisco gold rush boot knife. Come on, you guys can tell me if you think I am crazy. [/B]
Most of my linerlocks are open back design, partly for the ease of cleaning you mentioned, and partly to save weight.

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives