MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Registered

Replacing folder pins.

Hi everybody ,newbie here! Names Coondog. Just getting started in the art of knife making. I've had a special interest in knives since about 4 years old. That was when I started sharpenning them and I guess my interest just grew from there. Well now 30 years later , I have what is probably a basic question for you all. I want to replace the scales on a folder for a friend of mine. However , I have no idea how to get the pins out. Do I take a hammer and punch and drive them out ? Do I build a press and press them out ? And after I get them out , what is the best and most professional way to put them back in and make them look like there are supposed to look i.e. not all marked up ? Thank you all so much for your time and thought. Coondog
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Steel Addict

Hello Coondog,

I have a couple of questions for you.... What kind of knife is it? (Slipjoint, lockback, linerlock, etc...) Also, were you planning on just replacing the scales and thats all?

If I were going to replace the scales on a slipjoint, I would probably take the entire knife apart. You can do this by slipping a very thin knife blade, such as a scraping blade, between the back spring and the liners. Hit the blade lightly with a hammer until you have cut the pins. The pins will be cut off even with the liners and should be easy to punch out from the inside.

Since you are replacing the scales, I would wedge the blade between the scales and the liner and break the scales off. This will allow you to get to the scale pins and cut them off from the top side.

At this point you should have your knife disassembled. Replacing the scales and putting the knife back together can be done as if you were putting the knife together for the first time. Check out the slipjoint tutorial at my website to see pictures and a description of how I pin the knives back together.

Hope this helps. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 05-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

folder pins

Hey thanks a lot Chris. Honestly it is just your standard run of the mill pocket knife, like a Schrade or Old timer . And I'm sorry that I'm not sure what a slip joint type is.I know it is not a liner lock though. Thanks again. I will now be heading to your web site. Thanks . Coondog

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knife making, knives