MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Skilled

Website advice wanted

Who do you guys use for web-hosts?
What is the best/worst design features you've found?
How hard is it to manage?

Thanks-

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Master

Dennis-
I'm probably not the best person to respond to this since I don't have a website but I have been doing quite a bit of research lately. Let me start by saying I've never built a website before and don't even know what HTML stands for. So a guy like me has two choices - have a site professionally built and hosted or build it myself. Having someone else do it is probably the least aggravating choice and if I choose that route I'd go with our very own Atlant Virtual. They've done a heck of a job with this site! The second option, building it myself, is a much larger undertaking. Since I'm a glutton for punishment I'm leaning towards doing it myself. With that being said, the simplestsolution I've found so far is GoDaddy. They seem like one of the only 1-stop-shops. You can register your site name, they have pretty simple tools to help morons like me build a site, and they host it. They are also fairly inexpensive. Hope that helps!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Skilled

....and they have very enticing comercials.....

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can register your site name, they have pretty simple tools to help morons like me build a site, and they host it.
And you can do all of that through Atlanta Virtual - as a website owner and sometime designer for more than years now I can say unequivacably that AV is the best of the best...
plus their support is unequaled - plus you also help support this site, which IMO Alex, the owner of both AV and Knifenetwork, spends lots of time on which he could otherwise be applying to making money.........
FWIW - I tried several other hosts prior to coming here and I can NONE are more knife friendly and none offer better overall service - there are others but Alex and his team do it so well why go elsewhere, you won't be sorry going with AV upi migh find cheaper but you won't find better

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Chuck is correct! Count me in also as a firm supporter of Atlanta Virtual as a website host.

Site building and software recommendations were just discussed in this thread:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=50107

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows
And you can do all of that through Atlanta Virtual....
I didn't realize AV had tools to help dummies like me build a site - I'll have to look further. I'm a big believer in supporting people/companies that have been good to me whenever possible and I think AV has been great to all of us!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Don't just peruse their website - give them a call - they can offer you the advice you need to make a decision.......they now offer Coppermine - a great photo gallery software package that can really help and simplify building a site....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Steel Addict

I just finished a site for my friend's tire business at callagytire.com. He was already registered at godaddy so I'm using them for hosting. So far I have been very happy with the results. His site is running ASP.NET forms. I built it using Microsoft Visual Studio and Photoshop. And..... they do have great ads!

Tracy
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM

My advice would be to use the wordpress platform to run your site. I use it for BladeReviews and I found it easy to put together a clean and easily customizable website.

You will need hosting and a domain name. I would recommend GoDaddy for both because they have great technical support over the phone and make it easy to get it all set up.

http://bladereviews.com - Knifemaker Interviews and Knife Reviews
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Skilled

HTML: Hyper Text Markup Language....

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

I'm a new member on this forum however not a new knife maker. I've had a website for ten years with the same host and they to me are the easiest host I've found. You can create your own site up in a matter of hours (or they will help you) and it's free for the first then days. I think I pay about $21.00 a month. You can always call them with questions and speak to a real human.
Check out www.citymax.com ?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've been with Alex (Atlanta Virtual) for a number of years, and can HIGHLY recommend using their service. Over the years I've called Alex with a number of "dumb" questions, and he's always been a friendly, helpful person. One very important aspect that many website owners neglect is "up time"...before hosting with Atlanta Virtual, I had used other web hosts.....generally speaking my website was "down" more then it was up.....since going with Atlanta Virtual, there's only been ONE outage that I can remember, and that was due to an outside sources server going down....and Alex made it "right" by me.
My buddy Steve Kelly also uses AV, and he used the site tools provided by them to build his site(s).....
Montana Knife Supply -- www.montanaknifesupply.com

You won't go wrong with Atlanta Virtual!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

I've also used Alex's Atlanta Virtual site to create several websites for charities.

They are the best and probably the cheapest. You can have a great website for as low as $7.95/mo.

Tags
art, bee, build, knife, knife supply, made, new knife maker, products, supply, tools